Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15 - cs1063cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I downloaded Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU) because I noticed that the 15W Power Limit of the Core i5-8265U caused the chip to seriously slow down under full load. There was no thermal throttling as the CPU Package was 62 degrees (as I installed liquid metal instead of traditional thermal paste), but the CPU was power limit throttling. Even though my power brick can supply 45W, the chip is limited to 15W. I used XTU to attempt to raise these limits, but no luck. Even though XTU said that the active TDP the processor was using was 35W, because I set it to 35W, when I stressed it (using AIDA64), the CPU kept on throttling back down to 15W. I got very confused so I updated the BIOS, but no dice. The CPU kept on throttling, and there is nothing I can do. Can someone help me?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

I would think using a 35 watt IXTU CPU power limit setting would cause a problem if your CPU has a 15 watt limit.

High CPU temps will cause thermal throttling. Excessive power limit settings will cause power throttling.

I would not push the CPU in this way. It was not designed to run at 35 watts. This throttling effect is protecting your CPU.

Regards

HP Recommended

That's not my problem though. My problem is that XTU isn't affecting my CPU power limits. Under a full synthetic load using AIDA64, my CPU's max temperature is just  62 degrees (because I replaced the original thermal paste with liquid metal), but the clock speeds drops to 2.1 GHz. Because of the 15W power limit, with the graphics on the chip also being stressed, the clock speeds drop to 1.49 GHz, which is just unreasonable for anything. I attempted to use XTU to change the limits but it doesn't seem to affect it. That's my problem, not my temps. 

P.S. I noticed the exact same problem on another DELL Latitude 15 7000 series, but XTU seemed to have done the trick. I was successfully able to raise the power limit to 35W (Under full load, CPU and graphics, the CPU sits at 3.2 GHz). I feel like HP is not allowing any power limits to be raised, unlike DELL. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

I guess you are right. You have CPU temps under control.

But it may be impossible to get 300 horse power from an engine that is rated at 200 horse power.

Check this site (Link), maybe it will help.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.