Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

After upgrade to Windows 10 internal drive show up as removable. How can I change that?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@mcradio,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that the internal hard drive is showing a removable device.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you update the BIOS from the below link and check whether the issue is resolved.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

If you continue facing the issue, then follow the below steps.

• Open a command prompt with administrator privileges.
  • In the command prompt window, type the following command in hit Enter: devmgmt.msc
  • Under Disk Drives, identify the SATA device you would like the inbox driver to consider internal and open properties for this device by right-clicking and selecting Properties.
  • Note the bus number from the properties overview (“1” in the below example).
  • For Windows 8 and later:
    1. Type the following command in the previously opened command prompt and hit Enter:

reg.exe add “HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\Parameters\Device” /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d x
      Where x corresponds to the Bus Number you noted in step 4.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your rapid response. However, I have tried this method several times and each time I get "unsjpecified path" at the command prompt. Are the quotes to be included? “HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\Parameters\Device” /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d x
My internal drive is on bus 0 but I can't seem to get this command to work. Also, I have checked for driver updates but there are none for my Pavillion DV5 available.

HP Recommended

@mcradio,

Did you update the BIOS?

Meanwhile, I recommend you restore the BIOS defaults and check if it helps.

Backup and save important information on your computer, and then turn off the computer.

1. Turn on the computer, and then click F10, until the BIOS opens.

2. Under the Main tab, use the up and down arrow keys to select Restore Defaults.

Figure : Restore Defaults

Image: Restore Defaults
  3. Select Yes.

Figure : Load Defaults

Image: Load Defaults
  4. Under the Main tab, use the up and down arrow keys to select Save Changes and Exit.

Figure : Save Changes and Exit

Image: Save Changes and Exit
  5. When prompted, click Yes to save changes and exit.

Figure : Click Yes

Image: Click Yes

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Once again, thanks for your prompt attention. However, my Pavillion DV5 BIOS screen looks nothing like what you show. Holding down or tapping the F10 key at power up does nothing. To access my BIOS I have to hit the ESC key on power up. When I look at the BIOS there is no internal drive on the boot order. And I cannot find any BIOS on the HP website to update to, either. I certainly am having BIOS problems but have no way to fix it.

HP Recommended

@mcradio,

Please share the product number for your computer and I will look for the available BIOS for your computer.

Follow the steps in the below article to find the product details.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Product Name: HP Pavilion DV5

Product Number: KQ573AV

Serial Number:CNF90114Q6

HP Recommended

@mcradio,

I am unable to find any BIOS for your computer as your computer is more than 10 years old.

I recommend you boot to BIOS  and you might see a key at the bottom that says Setup Defaults — F5 on many HP PCs. Press this key and confirm with Yes to restore the default BIOS settings. On some machines, you may find this under the Security tab. Look for an option like Restore Factory Defaults or Reset All Settings.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.