Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP G3 Zbook Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can you let me know if my laptop can take nvme drives?  I'm looking to upgrade the ssd.

Is there two slots or will I need to replace the primary drive with a new nvme drive?

HP ZBook 17 G3

Product no : M9L92AV

Serial no : [Personal Information Removed]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Service Manual 

I actually have the 15 inch version of this same laptop which has essentially the same motherboard. On yours, there are two M.2 SSD slots (and 4 memory slots) and then also a pair of 2.5 inch drive bays (the 15 inch only has one 2.5 drive bay). And yes it accepts PCIe/NVME M.2 SSD. I use one of those for my boot/system drive then have a large SATA M.2 in the secondary slot and a large SATA 2.5 inch SSD in the 2.5 bay. You have virtually endless storage options in that machine in other words. 

Post back if you need any more help and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Service Manual 

I actually have the 15 inch version of this same laptop which has essentially the same motherboard. On yours, there are two M.2 SSD slots (and 4 memory slots) and then also a pair of 2.5 inch drive bays (the 15 inch only has one 2.5 drive bay). And yes it accepts PCIe/NVME M.2 SSD. I use one of those for my boot/system drive then have a large SATA M.2 in the secondary slot and a large SATA 2.5 inch SSD in the 2.5 bay. You have virtually endless storage options in that machine in other words. 

Post back if you need any more help and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

This was great advice.

I've installed the NVME and its working great.

The second slot - there is only room for a small m2 drive - I have an m2 sata drive, which was the original drive which is too long to fit in the space.

I've attached a photo.

Can I still install the sata m2 drive? (its the same length as the NVME drive) How would I hold it in place?  I could use the cable from the battery to hold it down, risky maybe but the laptop doesn't get moved about much.

IMG_20210319_111933.jpg 

HP Recommended

I believe that slot is only for WWAN (cellular modem). Look at p. 46 of the Manual. The second M.2 SSD slot is off to the right of the memory slots. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.