Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion v15 ab203nk
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi I want to add new ram to my HP notebook and I have two questions : 

1) can my pc support 12GB ram ?

2) I want to buy 8GB RAM DDR3L 12800s PC3L but the current one I have is samsung 4GB DDR3 12800

is this compatible ? the motherboard is HP 80A4

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

Your model may not be a "Star Wars" model but it shares the same hardware and the Manual.

You can install up to 16 gigs of RAM 2 x 8 gig DDR3L-1600.

8-GB (DDR3L-1600) 693374-005

See p. 55 for "how to". So yes you can add a single 8 gig module and have 12 gigs total.

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-1600MHz-PC3-12800-KVR16LS11/dp/B00CQ35HBQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=U...

Memory with the same specs as above will work. 1.35 volt (low voltage) and low density (8 blocks on the side, not 4) and 1600 mhz speed are the key points. Post back with any more questions.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

Your model may not be a "Star Wars" model but it shares the same hardware and the Manual.

You can install up to 16 gigs of RAM 2 x 8 gig DDR3L-1600.

8-GB (DDR3L-1600) 693374-005

See p. 55 for "how to". So yes you can add a single 8 gig module and have 12 gigs total.

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-1600MHz-PC3-12800-KVR16LS11/dp/B00CQ35HBQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=U...

Memory with the same specs as above will work. 1.35 volt (low voltage) and low density (8 blocks on the side, not 4) and 1600 mhz speed are the key points. Post back with any more questions.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes the RAM you mentioned will work. You can see various configurations and the steps to install the RAM in the service manual on page 2 and 55:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04642845

Your system supports max 16GB of DDR3L-1600  RAM (2x8GB) Sodimm with Dual Channel Support

For best performance and stability it would be best to install two sticks of exactly the same RAM (dual channel support) so you could consider buying a 16GB kit (2x8GB) designed for this purpose. They are easy to find online .

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Thank you so much ! 

Some ram have "DDR3" only but have lower voltage 1.35v can they work?

HP Recommended

DDR3 can be either 1.5 volt or 1.35 volt. If it is 1.35 volt it will be DDR3L....don't get 1.5 volt memory it will cause you nothing but trouble....again, you MUST get 1.35 volt DDR3L

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.