Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 13-ac0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have had issues with charging my device since purchase, including on my first usage. The device charges inconsistently - sometimes not at all unless charger is reattached to the usb port, sometimes with delay, or sometimes stopping charging despite being connected. This occurs with both usb ports, but particularly the one nearer the screen. The usb-c ports work for the bundled ethernet connector, but did not work for a third party device connecting via the usb-c port. The charger often becomes very warm or emits a high pitched noise. Occassionally messages appear saying "HP recommends using an original power adaptor from HP" (which I do) or "For full performance, connect  a higher capacity power adaptor". The device was purchased direct from your website.

What do you advise?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@cflan

A very warm welcome to the HP community. A very good day to you. 

I understand that you have an HP Spectre x360 13-4011TU laptop. I read that your laptop is facing charging issues. The laptop charges inconsistently and sometimes you have to disconnect and reconnect the charger. Secondly, the USB C ports do not work for a third party device connecting via the USB-c port. The charger becomes very warm and emits a high pitched noise. A message appears saying  "HP recommends using an original power adapter from HP". Not worry, I'll do my best to help you. 

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Since how long are the USB C ports and the ac adapter not working?
  • Did any hardware changes or software updates happen on the laptop?

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Power off the laptop.
  • Disconnected AC adapter from the laptop.
  • Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Reconnect the AC adapter.
  • Power ON the laptop.

For the USB C ports, I suggest you to perform the steps mention under "Troubleshooting steps" and "USB device not detected by Windows (no device name in Device Manager)" from this link.

Also, we can run the hardware tests on the USB ports and the charger too by following the below steps:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select component tests.

List of the Component tests

• Please initiate a test on the USB Port - This test is interactive and requires you to connect an external USB device, like a mouse, keyboard, or USB flash drive when prompted.

Before running the test, make sure there are no USB devices connected to the port you want to test. To start the test, click USB Port, click Run once, and then connect a USB device to the port you want to test. Repeat the steps if you need to test other USB ports on the computer.

• Also, run a test on the Power - There are two different power tests available, the AC Adapter Test and the Battery Test. AC Adapter - The AC Adapter test provides an interactive test to determine if the AC power adapter is functioning properly. A good battery is required for this test. Before running the AC Adapter Test, HP recommends verifying that your computer can receive power by connecting a known working AC adapter. To run the AC adapter test, click Run once. The test takes 2 minutes to run.

If the tests pass then please update the BIOS on your laptop. Ensure that the charger is plugged in while updating the BIOS.

I hope this information helps. Please feel free to reply with the results. Good luck! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.