Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Probook 6570b
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After upgrading windows 7 64-bit to windows 10 64-bit the card reader is not accessable any more.

Is there an updated driver somewhere?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have found the solution. The card reader did not have a drive letter so with the disk management tool I set it to  letter H: in my case and after that it was finally visible and accessible in explorer. It did need the 8.1 driver though.

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

I tried the 8.1 driver and there is progress i.e. I now get the usb sound when inserting or removing a card but the card drive is still not visible or accessable. So problem not solved yet.

HP Recommended
You're very welcome. Sorry that driver didn't work. When you look in the device manager are there any devices showing up with the little ! mark next to them? If the card reader driver is not properly installed, you should see at least one instance of an item listed as a Base System Device. That is the card reader name when the driver is not installed. If you do not see such a device listed, then unfortunately, I don't know what the problem could be. If you do see a base system device listed, you can try manually installing the W8.1 driver I posted and see if that works.
HP Recommended

I have found the solution. The card reader did not have a drive letter so with the disk management tool I set it to  letter H: in my case and after that it was finally visible and accessible in explorer. It did need the 8.1 driver though.

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

That's a new one on me!

Never had anyone report that problem before.

HP Recommended

Since the Windows 10 v1703 Creator's Update recently, my Jmicron Card Reader is gone.  The Device Driver showed under 'Other devices'  3 entried of 'Base System Device' that couldn't load a driver. Another forum identified the JMicron card reader from the device PCI codes VEN_197B&DEV_2382, VEN_197B&DEV_2383, VEN_197B&DEV_2384.

HP does not offer any driver beyond Vista (although it worked in Win10). Windows driver update does not find any driver at all.  Should I hope that a driver will appear?  This laptop is old but the drivers have survived changes from Vista right up to Win10 v1607.

HP Recommended

Hi, @pdqpat :

Just use the newest JMicron card reader driver from your notebook's support page.

Even the Vista one should work if that is the newest one there is.

HP Recommended
Thanks for prompting me to install the Jmicron card reader driver sp42339.exe for Vista. I thought it odd there was no indication it was installed, so I rebooted the computer. The good news is "Device Manager" has no error icons (!) Bad news is no entry that looked like a card reader, but I did find an odd entry under Software devices called "PAT-PC: Pat-Media:" In the 'details' it shows "Windows Media Player Sharing" under hardware ids. Under events it was started about the same time as the driver. Another mystery.
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I would just test it with a supported SD card and see if it works.

I don't have your model card reader. 

They can all be described differently in the device manager depending on the model card reader.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.