Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A couple of attempts to install Windows 10 update KB4528760 have now resulted in boot failures. I'm running an HP notebook 15-bw550na which, until these problems arose, was certainly up-to-date as far as Windows update was concerned but not necessarily HP updates.

The update proceeds to install and the machine behaves entirely as expected, until the "reboot to complete" where it's fine until the black screen with spinning dots... at that point it hangs. Rinse and repeat. I've recovered the machine twice now by forcing recovery console and using a system restore point, but I've no wish to go through the exercise a third time and risk problems.

I've seen some comments about removing third-party AV software, I'm minded against that for now unless anyone has any positive experience of this fixing it. For now I've got Windows Updates on pause, I also thought of raising an HP support request but following the options through suggests they're not interested and would just refer me to point-of-purchase.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@japitts,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing issues with the Windows update.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you download and run the Windows update troubleshooter from the below link, and it will automatically fix all the update related issues.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4027322/windows-update-troubleshooter

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response but... nope!! I tried the basic checks after the first boot failure, and Windows Update troubleshooter sure as fire found no errors.

I appreciate the errors with KB4528760 are well reported online, it's much more of a Microsoft issue than an HP one, but there doesn't seem to be any cast-iron fix at the moment...just quite a few cases of "try this, try that" 😞

HP Recommended

@japitts,

Thank you for keeping me posted.

What is the current version of Windows installed on the computer? You can find the Windows version by typing Winver in the search field.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm running V18363.535, which I believe is the Dec 2019 build.

HP Recommended

@japitts,

I recommend you contact support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.