Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Laptop 14-ce0xxx

Hi

My laptop comes equipped with a backlight which used to work.

I haven't been frequently using my laptop for a year and the backlight was only working on certain occasions.

It is no longer turning on. I have tried all settings in the control panel, on the hp helpdesk, battery saving options etc.

The fn key does not activate either and I have the latest driver.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi@Igxksu, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand the keyboard backlight stopped working on your PC.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes to your PC?

Let's start off by performing a Hard Reset -

1) Shutdown the computer. 
2) Unplug all the Adapter and peripherals connected. 
3) Press and hold down the power button for 15 to 20 seconds. 
4) Plug-in the Adapter. 
5) Try to turn on the computer. 

Next thing, I would suggest here is to Run Windows Updates troubleshooter -

Download and install the troubleshooter from this link.

Now try to perform Windows Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

Update the BIOS and chipset driver on your PC and check if it helps.

You can update the drivers on your PC using the HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using the HP support assistant. Click Here

To troubleshoot keyboard issues you can try the steps recommended below.

When the backlight is enabled using the key on the keyboard and the backlight stays on for only a few seconds, the backlight timeout setting might need to be configured in the BIOS.

NOTE:

If there is not a setting for the backlight timing in the BIOS, this behavior may not be supported on the notebook. Check product support documentation to verify.

Your BIOS version and screens might vary.

1. Restart the computer and immediately press the F10 repeatedly until the BIOS opens.

2. Navigate to the Advanced tab. Use the arrow keys to navigate in the BIOS.

Use the down arrow key to highlight Built-in Device Options, and then press Enter.

The Advanced tab showing Built-in Device Option highlighted

3. Use the down arrow key in the Built-in Device Options to select Backlit keyboard timeout.

4. Press the spacebar to open the keyboard backlight settings. Select the desired setting for timeout of the backlighting.

Backlit keyboard timeout options

NOTE:

Selecting Never makes the backlight stay on constantly unless yout turn it off with the function key on the keyboard. If it remains on, your battery power could drain quickly.

To check whether your particular model has a backlit keyboard, check the F5 key to see if the backlit keyboard key  is present.

To turn the keyboard backlight on or off, press the F5  key.

Refer this document to know more information about turning the backlight keyboard on and off on your PC.

If you have issues turning the backlight on try uninstalling and reinstalling keyboard drivers and check if it helps.

In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
Click View and select Show Hidden Devices.
Click the arrow next to Keyboards, right-click the keyboard device name, then select Uninstall to remove the device from Windows.
Continue removing device names in the Keyboards category until all device names have been uninstalled.
Restart the notebook. Right-click Start (), select Shut down or sign out, then select Restart.
Wait for the computer to restart and open Windows.

Refer to this article to know more information about keyboard backlight issues. Link 

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark an accepted solution for this post.

Keep me posted. Happy to help!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Hi there!

Thanks for the reply, however, my issue remains unsolved and my backlight remains non-functional.

Any further support will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kind regards,

Ibrahim.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.