Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hopefully you guys can help me. I've encountered some 'sleeping' keys that just dont appear to want to work for no real reason. This also applies to the number pad, where only certain numbers will register. Is there anything in the BIOS I need to do to reset my keyboard? Or are there any reasons why it's stopped working all of a sudden, or any other fixes I can try? I've already tried the battery removal trick that other forums have mentioned but this hasn't worked in my case. I've also tried the driver reinstall through device manager as well but this hasn't worked either. Same goes for the 'floating keys' option I think it is in the Windows 10 settings menu. I'm at a real loss as to why they have stopped working, so any suggestions or fixes would be appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@norfie123456 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the keyboard is not working properly.

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.

Please uninstall the keyboard drivers from the device manager and update the BIOS.

If the issue still persists, please perform the keyboard test and check.

1. Power off the PC and make sure that it is completely powered off.

2. Press the power button and the moment you press the power button immediately start tapping F2 key, you should see the system diagnostics screen.

3. Look for the component test, under that all the hardware will be listed, please choose Keyboard and initiate the quick test.

Note: If it fails it will generate a 24 digits alphanumeric failure id, please capture that.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I did get an error code even I conducted this test. I'd attach an image of the code but I'm not sure how on the forum.

Either way this is the code I got: 

90CDVH-7G5A08-MFGH7A-G06903

I'm hoping this may be an easy fix and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If you need anymore details about the machine or code please let me know. 

Thanks 

HP Recommended

@norfie123456

Thank you for the information.

The issue with the keyboard. The part has to be replaced. 

I would suggest you contact our phone support. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks again for a speedy reply. I've discovered that I can no longer extend my product warranty with HP. I still want to get the machine fixed though. How and where can I arrange for this to happen?

Thanks

HP Recommended

@norfie123456

I understand your concerns.

The issue with the keyboard.  Do not worry. Please contact our phone support. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

HP Recommended

Ok thanks. I'll have to do this on Monday now. Hopefully it's not an expensive fix!

Thanks

HP Recommended

@norfie123456

Thank you for the update.

If you have any other concerns. Please get back to us. We will assist you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.