Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 ar-0001na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My keyboard back light only stays on when the touchpad or keyboard is in constant use. If there is even 10-15 seconds of inactivity the back light switches off. It turns back on when i start to use the touchpad or keyboard again but if i have set it to be on it shouldn't be timing itself out. Is there a fix for this?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Abdul_H 

The backlit keyboard feature on your computer lacks the setting necessary to control the timeout.

Your computer is  not broken - the backlit keyboard feature just works differently than on a business / commercial grade computer.  

The controls to adjust the keyboard backlight timeout are located in the BIOS > Advanced section. 

The BIOS > Advanced section is included on business / commercial grade machines.  

If your computer does not have the "Advanced" section, you cannot control the timeout.

If supported >> Restart into BIOS – Set backlit keyboard “always” on

Restart > while screen blank, repeat ESC key until menu starts

BIOS setup

Advanced > Built-In Device Options >

Scroll down, set Backlit keyboard timeout = Never

Click back to Main (menu), select Save changes and exit

Next:

Lots of fancy documents, none of which will give you what you want:

BIOS – Backlit Keyboard and other Advanced Options

This is one of those situations where the how-to document mentions that a particular feature might not be supported on every computer.  The document does not offer an exact explanation for you because the document is not written for YOUR computer.

HP Notebook PCs - Using the Backlit Keyboard

Section: The backlight stays on for only a few seconds

Discussion

In general, and there might be exceptions,

• Business class computers offer BIOS Advanced
  • Examples of business class systems include and are not limited to:  Zbook Mobile Workstations, ProBook, EliteBook, and others.
  • The backlit keyboard timeout option is included in the Advanced section as appropriate (system has a backlit keyboard).

• At this writing, consumer class systems do not include the backlit keyboard timeout feature.
  • Examples of consumer grade systems include and are not limited to:  Spectre, Pavilion, Envy, Notebook.

HP Note

BIOS configurations vary depending on the computer. For further information on a specific computer, refer to the documentation provided with the computer or go to the appropriate document for your PC.

Consumer Class Desktops and Notebooks – BIOS Setup

Commercial / Business Class Computers – BIOS Setup

HP PC Commercial BIOS (UEFI) Setup - Administration Guide

====================================================================

Reference and Resources – Places to find help and learn about your Device

Clarification of terms and "what the device can do" (Specifications)

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

HP ENVY X360 - 13-ar0001na

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I checked my BIOS settings and I do not have the advanced settings option as my device is a consumer grade laptop. Having the keyboard time out when I've set the back light to be on seems like such a frustratingly useless thing to include. Why is this even a feature.

The lights constantly switching on and off every 10 seconds is very irritating, especially while I'm working. Is no other way to remove the time out setting through updated drivers etc?

HP Recommended

@Abdul_H 

I suspected you would dislike the answer.

No, it is not a driver issue - the feature is irritatingly not supported in the way you need it.

There may be a deep workaround - I have not investigated whether that is the case.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.