Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 14-bp011ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My keyboard does not work through the USB type-c port, but it works through regular USB ports. The USB type-c port itself is functional (I tried connecting the phone, it charges and is detected by the system). But the keyboard does not respond to presses and the backlight on it does not work when connected via Type-C. What could be the problem and how to solve it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Is this a USB-C keyboard like the Zienstar G696

There are known problems with some of the USB-C keyboards as they are not recognized.  You may need an adapter from USB-C to USB-A such as this one.

Another possibility:  Go into the bios and look in the device configuration for "USB Legacy support" and turn it on.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

This is unusual but not unheard of.  Try the solution described here and reboot.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-keyboard-not-workingconnected-through-usb-...

If it works then the hibernate file was corrupted.  That file is used for fast startup.

You can turn fast startup back on if you want.  A new hibernate file will be created.  Make sure the keyboard is plugged in the USB-C when you turn fast startup back on.

Let me know if there is a problem or if it worked.  The person who asked Microsoft's Sousa did not bother to report if it worked although someone said it was helpful..

HP Recommended

I tried the above algorithm, unfortunately it didn't work.

HP Recommended

Is this a USB-C keyboard like the Zienstar G696

There are known problems with some of the USB-C keyboards as they are not recognized.  You may need an adapter from USB-C to USB-A such as this one.

Another possibility:  Go into the bios and look in the device configuration for "USB Legacy support" and turn it on.

HP Recommended

What brand and model keyboard is it?

Is this thread about a laptop or a standalone keyboard?

I can't say I have ever seen a keyboard that has both USB TYpe-A and USB TYpe-C  connection cables.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

There are a few that have both

BeemerBiker_0-1715443885277.png

Some of the really fancy keyboards that have RGB are USB-C only and cannot be plugged into a regular USB unless an adapter is used.  if @TH_NTHNG has a USB-C keyboard I am guessing it is not compatible with HP laptop USB-C port.

HP Recommended

I enabled USB legacy support and nothing changed.
But I think I understand what the problem is. The problem is the cable, which does not support the C-C connection. I need to look for either the correct cable or an adapter, as you said. In a thread from reddit it is written about this problem. Thank you for your help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.