Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 470 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello there ~

As said in the title my keyboard behaves very strangely for no apparent reasons.

Meaning: i didn't download any software recently, all windows update went well etc...

However my keyboard keys either don't work, open random tabs like calculator or input wrong letter. Here are a few example:

• ESC writes W

• F1 writes C

• SPACE BAR seems to be CTRL

• Left Arrow seems to be BACKSPACE

• A and Z don't work

This happens with FRENCH language set on. These patterns seem to change when i change the language 🤔

NumLock seems locked on (led is on) but i cannot turn it off, either by pressing it or using shortcuts...

Though i read about it online, i doubt it is the problem...

Here's all what i have tried so far without success:

• Update OS

• Update keyboard drivers

• Delete driver and reboot computer

• Roll back to previous version of driver

• Change languages

• Roll back to a previous windows restore point

• Scan for malwares (Using Malwarebytes)

• Fix registry (Using CCleaner)

• Using on screen keyboard (works perfectly fine)

• Using HP recovery manager

• Use troubleshoot keyboard

• Used HP hardware diagnostics (i wrote input patterns above)

Is there anything left to try ?

Or does it mean it has to be a physical problem within the keyboard ?

Thank you so much for your help 😊

Note: i don't know how this can help but strangely enough, FN + Sound up/Down works fine. Similarly when clicking CapLock on the On Screen Keyboard, the led on my keyboard turns on.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

There is nothing wrong with your keyboard.

The reason you are experiencing this is because some langauges use different templates for the keyboard.   If you install a language you will need to print out its template to see which keys are assigned to letters,  accents, and punctuation. It will also depend on whether you have purchased a particular language version of your notebook.  I am trilingual, with English Spanish and Netherlands as my languages. I generally find it simpler to use the Windows  ALT codes to achieve the accents for the language that I am using. I have been using ALT codes for years, so I have many of them memorized. Otherwise, things get quite complicated.  It is a personal decision you will need to make. 

If you are French and a native speaker living in a French-speaking country, you are likely to be better off with an AZERTY keyboard and a multi-language version of Windows.

English keyboards are QWERTY and French uses an AZERTY  keyboard.  You can just take a look at your keyboard to see what type it is.  

AZERTY keyboard

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AZERTY

QWERTY keyboard

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QWERTY

Windows ALT codes

https://usefulshortcuts.com/alt-codes/accents-alt-codes.php

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hello 🙂

The problem disappeared within a day for no apparent reason and without touching anything.

I just turned on my computer and keyboard was all fine !

Thanks for the help 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.