Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I had just doing maintenance on my laptop, and I also upgraded the RAM. I had to take the laptop apart to be able to clean the components, which also required to have the keyboard removed. After I finished cleaning the components, I put the laptop back together, and then turned it on. When I was trying to type in my password, I was unable to type it in, as three columns of keys wouldn't work. So I then removed the keyboard, which I then saw that three of the connections were cut. The ribbon wire is damaged where the wire comes out of the keyboard, not the end where it is connected to the motherboard. Is there a way to fix the damaged connections20190326_084318.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I think a highly competent technician could likely figure a way to solder the connections back but it would require mad microsoldering skills under a magnifying lens..I would think you would reconnect the existing leads not add something new into the equation. I think the time and effort it would take would be valued at much more than the cost of a replacement keyboard. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

No there is really no place to get the repair components for a keyboard because a whole keyboard is so inexpensive no one could make money by stocking the subparts except maybe keys which you do see some people selling individually. 

If you will tell us which model laptop it is we can likely help you find a whole replacement keyboard for $35 US or less. 

HP Recommended

Ok, and I also just thought of reconnecting each of the damaged connections with some small pieces of bare copper wire I have laying around, then taping or soldering the copper to them... I have found replacement keyboards made specifically for my computer, but I want to know if it can possibly be repaired.

HP Recommended

I think a highly competent technician could likely figure a way to solder the connections back but it would require mad microsoldering skills under a magnifying lens..I would think you would reconnect the existing leads not add something new into the equation. I think the time and effort it would take would be valued at much more than the cost of a replacement keyboard. 

HP Recommended

Ok. Thank you for the support! I'll see if adding pieces of copper to the damaged connections will work. If it doesn't work, I'll replace the keyboard, and I'll add some electrical tape over the areas where the wire could potentially be scratched. :ThumbUp:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.