Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hello HP Support Rep. ,

The combination Shift and 2 button key function does not type the @ symbol on screen which is printed on the 2 button key. Instead it types the " symbol !  If I want to bring up the @ symbol I have to press the " button key with the Shift key!! How can I reset the software so the lit up @ symbol on the 2 button key is typed  when I press it along with the Shift key(which is how its normally supposed to function on an English language setting . I came across one user post who had a similar problem and described how after changing the language and regional setting to US 'international' the problem disappeared. HOWEVER when I change the setting from UK english to US english or English (world) -(there is no US english international option on my laptop model with Windows 10), it makes no difference at all!!! How do I fix this and also how am I supposed to locate the hashtag key button/toggle when despite its symbol on the 3 key and on the farthest left key on the 1st row(below the function keys) is not typed when either of those keys are pressed along with the Shift key. 

Also the official HP advice paragraph relating to the @ key function also says that if more than one symbol is printed on an key then pressing Ctrl + Shift + respective key should type that symbol which in the case of the @ and hashtag symbols are STILL not typed- nothing happens- the cursor does not move and the space stays blank.

I've tried to be as clear as possible in my explanation and hope you folks can reliably sort this out. This is a brand new laptop so its annoying to have encounter this issue. Thank you ever so m

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Kaifah Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are facing issues with the keyboard.

Try updating the computer, this will install the latest updates -

Step 1 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type, and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 2 Install updates using HP Support Assistant

1. In the search box, type, and open HP Support Assistant. 
  2. Check for updates. 
  3. If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Note: If you do not have HP Support Assistant installed, Click here to download the same.

In that case, uninstall the keyboard drivers from the device manager and update the BIOS.

Please click the below link to download the drivers.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.