Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-ab010nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm posting this information in hopes it may serve to help others.

Please note that for some recent HP laptop/notebook Pavilion models, the keyboard is not easily replaced.  Most older HP laptops were designed with replaceable keyboards in mind.  You simply remove a few screws, detatch a panel, and the keyboard comes off.  This is terrific because it's generally user serviceable for anyone handy with tools and the ability to follow instructions.

Now, some models don't make it easy, probably as a cost cutting measure.  The 15-ab010nr (15-ab series) is one such example.  

1. The keyboard is buried underneath several PCB boards, including the mother board.  So it will require a complete disassembly (not including the screen).
  2. The keyboard is plastic riveted to the top panel and has a metal support behind it that is also plastic riveted to the top panel as well as the keyboard.
  3. All of the rivets must be snapped off in order to remove the keyboard.
  4. Replacement means that some sort of glue/adhesive must be used or else the keyboard will be "mushy."

I performed this task.  It took me about 6 hours.  I could have done it in about 3 hours, but I wasn't conscientious enough and didn't keep proper track of all the screws and where they go.  You see, there are FOUR different screw sizes.  And while some screws are used internally, others are used externally.  It is best to draw a diagram and keep track of every single screw.

One benefit I got was that my 15-ab010nr did not come with a back lit keyboard.  However, the 15-ab series did have it as an option.  It turns out that only ONE motherboard was created, and thus there is a ribbon cable socket for powering the LED backlit keys.  If you're going to go to the trouble of replacing the keyboard, and your current one isn't back lit, I suggest going with one.  Also, my original keyboard was terrible.  It had a black matte finish that became glossy over time where fingers touched it the most, thus uneven.  Some letters wore off too.  It looked terrible and some keys started to stick.  The silver keyboard is the best because it has a satin finish and won't show wear as easily.

"Trying to remain positive and optimistic in an ever growing negative and cynical world. Peace."
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes. HP only "spares" the entire top cover. The keyboard is not officially a replaceable part. I have been advising Users of this for a long time. The top cover is an expensive part but ordering it and replacing the whole thing makes for an easier time of it. Its not so much a cost-cutting thing as trying to make laptops as thin and light as possible as that is what the public demands. Same evolutionary force that did away with the easy access memory and hard drive doors. Laptop service is getting harder for the shadetree mechanic. Thanks for the report, however. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Yes. HP only "spares" the entire top cover. The keyboard is not officially a replaceable part. I have been advising Users of this for a long time. The top cover is an expensive part but ordering it and replacing the whole thing makes for an easier time of it. Its not so much a cost-cutting thing as trying to make laptops as thin and light as possible as that is what the public demands. Same evolutionary force that did away with the easy access memory and hard drive doors. Laptop service is getting harder for the shadetree mechanic. Thanks for the report, however. 

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer,

Thanks for your response.  How long ago did HP change their policy about the keyboards?  Because I've had 4 HP laptops prior to this one and the 2 earliest ones were fairly easy to replace the keyboard.  One was so simple -- there were 2 screws on the case bottom that once removed released the keyboard and then you just detatch the ribbon cable(s).

So is this true now for all HP notebook models?  I'm presuming yes, because I see they're all now sporting very thin casings.

I do appreciate the streamlining of production and reducing service costs.  Certainly replacing the top panel is easier.

Anyway, I hope HP has made some improvements on key cap quality.  My original ones were matte black and ended up with shiny spots, plus a few letters wore off.  The replacement is much better--not sure if it was manufactured later with improved materials, but the silver satin finish is nice.  It was also a joy to finally have this notebook's keyboard back lit like on my old Envy M6.  It makes such a difference in low light.

"Trying to remain positive and optimistic in an ever growing negative and cynical world. Peace."
HP Recommended

You are preaching to the choir dude. I ceratinly recall easy out keyboards. This is not a policy it is a design decision. Some of the workstation models which are thicker still have an easy out keyboard. The thin and light design trend is industry wide and I am sure you would find that other laptop makers do the same thing. Keyboard keys do seem to be getting crummier and crummier. I collect vintage laptops and it breaks my heart to go back and feel what it was like to type on a vintage IBM Thinkpad or even an old HP Omnibook. But those laptops are clunky and thick as a brick. 

HP Recommended

After more than a month, the new keyboard is still working.  Again, it's slightly "mushy" in some spots, but less noticeable if you type relatively lightly.  I still think it's a much better choice to replace the top bezel with keyboard already embedded, rather than going through the long arduous task of replacing just the keyboard.  And if the original keyboard wasn't back lit, it's worth spending a little more to get a back lit one.

HP Recommended

What adhesive did you use?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.