Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario CQ 57 laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I was recently given a Compaq Presario CQ57 laptop to work on by a family member who wanted me to do what I could to make it work faster.

One thing I noticed while working on it, though, is that the keyboard acts a bit weird. The number and letter keys seem to work fine but pressing the space bar doesn't insert a space it inserts "57zc" (not including the speech marks) and backspacing doesn't backspace. On Windows 7, before I upgraded it to WIndows 10, it inserted "*8" then brought up the duplicating options box. Now, on Windows 10, backspacing inserts just the * and brings up the duplicating options box.

This is just an example of what I've found. There may be other keys that do other things they're not supposed to but these are the two I've come across.

I have tried going into Device Manager and uninstalling the keyboard and restarting the machine but that didn't work. I have checked the access options and made sure the keyboard layout is set to US.

I was hoping the upgrade/clean install to Windows 10 would sort it out but it hasn't.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks 🙂

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Thisishardwork Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are facing issues with the keyboard.

This model is not tested on the Windows 10 operating system. Please refer to the following link.

There are no proper drivers for Windows 10 operating system.

Please try updating the computer, this will install the latest updates -

Step 1 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type, and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 2 Install updates using HP Support Assistant

1. In the search box, type, and open HP Support Assistant. 
  2. Check for updates. 
  3. If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Note: If you do not have HP Support Assistant installed, Click here to download the same.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

The keyboard wasn't working properly BEFORE I installed Windows 10 on the laptop.

I'm trying to find out why the keyboard insists on inserting 57zc when the spacebar is pressed and in opening the duplication options when the backspace key is pressed.

Is this a hardware defect or driver defect?

HP Recommended

@Thisishardwork

I understand your concerns.

As I have stated that there are no proper drivers for Windows 10 operating system.

I would suggest you roll back to the previous windows version.

Or you can contact our phone support for more assistance. 

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Phone support won't do anything as the machine is out of warranty. I'm not about to reinstall Windows 7 as the keyboard wasn't working properly on Windows 7.

I originally upgraded to Windows 10, hoping that would solve the problem but it didn't, so I did a clean install of Windows 10. This didn't solve the problem either.

I doubt very much the Windows 7 disk is to be found after all this time.

HP Recommended

@Thisishardwork

I understand your concerns.

In that case, you will have to order a recovery media: Click here for steps.

Or you may also attempt to download the same using the steps on this link: click here

You have to contact our phone support and order the recovery media.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.