Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion X 360 convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently bought this laptop.

After about a month of using daily the keyboard stopped working.

I did these things multiple times

1. restart - no effect

2. uninstall keyboard and reinstall - no effect

3. taking the laptop to tablet mode and changing the mode few times.

After 30 minutes or so the keyboard started working again. Now this has happened again today. Again I tried these tricks and it took 30-45 min this time. Last thing I did was swapping between laptop and tablet mode ( however it didnt work when I did it earlier).

It feels like a little hit and miss. I am worried that the keyboard might die and all these resuscitation techniques will not be successful.

Anyone had this problem? Any definite solution to it? Should I send it back?

All drivers are up to date.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Suryabrata,

Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums! 🙂 Good day. 🙂  I reviewed the post and understand that you are experiencing keyboard issues with the computer. I will do my best to assist you with this issue.

Excellent diagnosis and troubleshooting were done before posting your question. Hats off to you for a job brilliantly done. 🙂 You are a valued HP customer and we appreciate you greatly for doing business with HP. 🙂 I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you.:)

For better clarity and to assist better, I would require the complete model# of the unit.

We also need to isolate the issue to being hardware or software related.

Please visit this link for further assistance:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-13-a000-x360-Convertible-PC/6936239/model/7241884/do...

Later please check in the command prompt if the keyboard works correctly.

• Power down the unit. When you power it back up, immediately tap the F11 key gently several times.
  • It takes you to recovery manager. Here please select the option “Troubleshoot”. Then please select “Advanced options “ and  “command prompt”
  • Type all the keyboard characters in this black window especially the keys that do not work correctly.
  • If F11 does not take you to recovery manager, please keep tapping the “ESC” gently several times the instant you power on the unit. It takes you to the startup menu and you could press F11 from there to go to recovery manager.

If the keys do not respond then it is a hardware issue and please contact HP phone support to try and get the situation corrected. .If the unit is under warranty, repair services should be covered by the manufacturer’s warranty. You could look up the unit’s warranty by visiting this link: http://support.hp.com/gb-en/checkwarranty/  and select the country of purchase and follow the on-screen instructions. Link to visit HP phone support: http://hp.com/contacthp Please select the country of purchase and follow the on-screen instructions.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.:)

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @Suryabrata,

Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums! 🙂 Good day. 🙂  I reviewed the post and understand that you are experiencing keyboard issues with the computer. I will do my best to assist you with this issue.

Excellent diagnosis and troubleshooting were done before posting your question. Hats off to you for a job brilliantly done. 🙂 You are a valued HP customer and we appreciate you greatly for doing business with HP. 🙂 I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you.:)

For better clarity and to assist better, I would require the complete model# of the unit.

We also need to isolate the issue to being hardware or software related.

Please visit this link for further assistance:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-13-a000-x360-Convertible-PC/6936239/model/7241884/do...

Later please check in the command prompt if the keyboard works correctly.

• Power down the unit. When you power it back up, immediately tap the F11 key gently several times.
  • It takes you to recovery manager. Here please select the option “Troubleshoot”. Then please select “Advanced options “ and  “command prompt”
  • Type all the keyboard characters in this black window especially the keys that do not work correctly.
  • If F11 does not take you to recovery manager, please keep tapping the “ESC” gently several times the instant you power on the unit. It takes you to the startup menu and you could press F11 from there to go to recovery manager.

If the keys do not respond then it is a hardware issue and please contact HP phone support to try and get the situation corrected. .If the unit is under warranty, repair services should be covered by the manufacturer’s warranty. You could look up the unit’s warranty by visiting this link: http://support.hp.com/gb-en/checkwarranty/  and select the country of purchase and follow the on-screen instructions. Link to visit HP phone support: http://hp.com/contacthp Please select the country of purchase and follow the on-screen instructions.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.:)

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi David could you please assist me with a similar issue.

Here is my thread...I appreciate it is a couple of years now but I STILL have this issue and it drives me nuts.

Many thanks.

Aarron

Thread in question: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/problem-with-my-laptop-keyboard...

HP Recommended

Hi David, 

Same issue as Satyabrata. 

the Middle Row keys Stop responding suddently. 

Mostly starts with A, then often graduates to s,d, k.l etc

And at times covers SOME keys (esp T) the top row too. 

they restart working at Random.  Peristing with repeated keystrokes of the non-responding keys seems to motivate them to respond on some occassions, and completely fails on other occasions.  Have to resort to using ONScreen key board to login most times. 

Followed your instructions did F11.  ALL KEYS were working in the Troubleshooting mode. 

All drivers are uptodate

Sharing my model Number :  HP Pavilllion x360 Convertible PC

11-u005TU

S/N: [edited]

It is very frustrating.  Cannot even log-in. 

Even typing this message was a pain as A was playing truant

facing this issue since a few months now , ever since the warranty expired Smiley Happy 

please respond with a solution

HP Recommended

Hey 

I did it as you said  and keyboard does work in command prompt... all keys worls perfectly but when I turn on my laptop it doesn't... what to do next ?

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.