Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 640 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a 500 gb HDD in my HP ProBook 640 G1 (F2R38LT#ABM), but recently I bought an SSD from Kingston, the A400 with 240 gb, but every time I try to install Windows on it the Installer tells me I have a disk but it doesn't has free space, not even space left or the size of the memory.

I already tried switching modes, between Legacy, UEFI with and without CSM, the SATA mode is AHCI, and the connector works fine, I can tell it works because right now I'm using the HDD with Windows. I also used diskpart, installed windows on the SSD with other Notebooks, and it worked fine.

I don't know if the SSD is not compatible, but if someone could help I'd really appreciate it

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello

After some months of denial I got a great hint from https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Probook-6560b-does-not-recognize-my-SSD/td-p/...

After reading that I tried it (changed SATA speed from 6.0Gbps to 3.0), also changed to UEFI Hybrid and using it on mbr works so much faster than my old hdd.

I really appreciate your help, it motivated me after all these months.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Everything works fine now but it took me some time to get it working. I think I disabled the Secure Boot and ignored the Legacy Mode to get it working because the Legacy Mode didn't recognize the SSD as I thought it should. I was pretty mad that it didn't work as I expected but got it working eventually by disabling the Legacy mode enabling the Secure Boot and then disabling the Secure Boot again (reboot after every change). Give it a go and play with it a bit because it definitely works in UEFI mode. Got a MacOS Mojave on the main HyperX Kingston SSD and Sabayon linux in the optical drive bay on one of the Intel solid drives.

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

Hello

After some months of denial I got a great hint from https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Probook-6560b-does-not-recognize-my-SSD/td-p/...

After reading that I tried it (changed SATA speed from 6.0Gbps to 3.0), also changed to UEFI Hybrid and using it on mbr works so much faster than my old hdd.

I really appreciate your help, it motivated me after all these months.

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.