Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 15-da1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HI guys! I decided to perform long drive self test using the "hp hardware diagnostics tool" and after a while it move to 10 and stopped. The results where "failed". Anyone know why? Cos short drive test shows passed and SMART shows my disk is healthy.

I don't know if maybe SMART is not accurate or what. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Those tests are checking different things. So your drive has no basic issues or SMART problems. My guess is there are a couple bad sectors. I would replace it but if you do a chkdsk you can find out for sure if there are bad sectors and mark them so the system does not try to write data to them. You are going to have to replace the drive soon regardless. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Those tests are checking different things. So your drive has no basic issues or SMART problems. My guess is there are a couple bad sectors. I would replace it but if you do a chkdsk you can find out for sure if there are bad sectors and mark them so the system does not try to write data to them. You are going to have to replace the drive soon regardless. 

HP Recommended

Did a  chkdsk  and it reported no bad sectors. Did a chkdsk /r c: and it was sort of fixing drive C but reported no bad sectors again. I guess I'll be keeping my drive☺️. Thanks for your help

HP Recommended

The fixing probably meant there were file system errors which may have triggered the error in the long test. You may have repaired it but I would keep an eye on the drive. You should run these tests say every 30 days for a while and if it passes a couple times in a row I would say your drive is still OK. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.