Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Dv6-6144ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Pavilion Dv6 laptop came with the fan model 650848-001 but after more than five years the fan seems to have worn out as it started to make a grinding sound. So I replaced it with the same model I bought online. Problem is when I turned on my laptop the new fan instantly started running at maximum speed which is making loud noise and it won't stop. I'm not sure what seems to be the issue. My PC is cool but the fan still behaves the same when I don't even have any programs opened. How can I solve this?  

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@HP-66
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Let's try performing BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Keep me posted for further assistance.

And, also you can try turning off the FAN in bios settings:

1. Turn on the computer. ...
  2. Use the left and right arrow keys to select the Advanced menu.
  3. Use the up and down arrow keys to select Hardware Monitor and press Enter. ...
  4. Select CPU Fan Check and press Enter.
  5. Select Disabled and then press Enter.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My laptop model originally came with Windows 7 but now I have Windows 10 installed for which there are no drivers and updates:
https://support.hp.com/ca-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-dv6-6100-entertainment-notebook-pc-seri...  

I did download the BIOS update for Windows 7 (i'm not sure if it's compatible with Windows 10) but when I tried to run the set up, I get the following message even when I run as an administrator: https://filestore.community.support.microsoft.com/api/images/eb1dc6c4-7e33-4ad4-b89a-e20b50a06604 

I did disable the Fan Always On setting but the fan is still running. 
Could my update to Windows 10 have affected the fan speed in some way? I did a clean install removing the recovery partition of the manufacturer.  It's been running fine for a year even with Windows 10 update until I replaced the old fan recently. 

HP Recommended

@HP-66

These are the basic requirements for installing Windows 10 on a PC. If your device does not meet these requirements, you may not have as great an experience with Windows 10 and might want to consider purchasing a new PC.

• Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster.
  • RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
  • Free hard disk space: 16 GB.
  • Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver.
  • A Microsoft account and Internet access.

To get the answer to this question, This error happens because Microsoft has implemented a new security feature for Windows 10 that blocks any app that does not have a 2016 security signature.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, your last reply doesn't provide a solution to my problem. My fan is still running constantly at maximum speed. Is windows 7 BIOS update compatible with Windows 10? Is there another solution? 

HP Recommended

@HP-66
As you've performed relevant troubleshooting steps and the issue persists, I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.