Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv6z-7000 CTO Entertainment Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a HP Pavilion dv6z-7000 CTO Entertainment Notebook PC, laptop, that I would like to upgrade to Windows 8.1, if at all possible.

I've reviewed what OS's that are compatible with my PC's hardware. But all I see listed is Windows 7 & Windows 8; not Windows 8.1.

So would Windows 8.1 NOT be compatible with my device's hardware?

I'm currently running/have:

• Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 (64-bit).
  • AMD A6-4400M APU with Radeon (tm) HD Graphics, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s) @ 2.70 GHz
  • AMD Radeon HD 7520G - Adatper Ram (VRAM): 512MB
  • 6.00 GB of RAM

Many thanks in advance!

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

I think that W8.1 would work just fine in your notebook.

There are W8.1 and W10 graphics drivers for the GPU your notebook has on AMD's website.

If you decide to upgrade, let me know and if you can't find some drivers, I will be happy to help you out.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for the reply!

If you could, could you please give me the links to those drivers for both OS’s?

With support for Windows 7 ending, I would like to get the most outta my PC.

Also, if I do end up upgrading to Windows 10, should I be aware of any known issues?

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

With W10, you can expect to have issues with the audio and wifi.

Here is the link to the AMD driver page for the graphics...

https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-series-processors/amd-a6-series-apu-for-laptops/a6-4400m-rade...

HP Recommended

Ok.

Are there any compatibility issues known while using Windows 8.1?

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

There shouldn't be any because there are some dv7-7200 or 7300 AMD models that have W8.1 drivers.

I can't find any at the moment.

HP Recommended

I’ve tried updating  my Windows 7 drivers as listed, above.

However, both will not update to their latest versions.

They both tend to stay at version 15.301.1901-160226a-318064E.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling these updates numerous times, plus have done a “clean” install using DDU, as instructed from this link

So far,  nothing has worked.

Do you have any suggestions on how to solve this problem?

Many thanks in advance!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I do not.

I just assumed that you were going to clean install W8.1 after backing up your files and being able to reinstall any programs you want to reinstall afterward.

HP Recommended

That’s Ok. I’ll see if I can’t resolve this issue in a separate topic.

Thanks again for all the help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.