Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 14-al061nr (Energy Star)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Pavilion 14 Notebook with a loosening hinge which also seems to start wearing out the cover on the motherboard of the laptop. From a distance it doesn't seem like it has cosmetic damage, however looking at it more closely you can see that this portion of the computer seems to peel off slightly whenever I open it. This isn't the first time the notebook has had this problem. About a year ago I had this thing serviced through hp with a warranty I had from a care pack. Unfortunately this hinge seems to have gotten loose again and I'm very careful when I open and close the laptop. As of now this isn't a huge cosmetic problem as the rest of the notebook is in decent condition and still functions properly, though it could turn into a major issue as I feel this will gradually wear out more and eventually snap if not dealt with.  I'm seeking to get this thing fixed again. Unlike the last time, however,  I don't have any warranty on the notebook given that I've had it for nearly five years and hp won't register any care packs for something that I've had for quite a long time. For this reason I even opted to replace the battery myself given that it was starting to end its cycle as a power source. With all this I have a couple of questions to ask.

How much would it cost me to repair the laptop with out-of-warranty repair services?

What are some of the most recommendable things I could do to get it fixed at a low cost?

Where else would I turn to if hp isn't an option?

Here are some photos to show the wear of the loose hinge on the corner of the motherboard.

IMG_9990(1).JPGIMG_9986(1).jpgIMG_9984(1).jpg

IMG_9982(1).jpg

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

That is actually pretty serious damage from the hinge issue. From what I can see you would need to replace both hinges and the lower case of the laptop at a minimum and perhaps the back of the screen housing where the hinges connect at the top. This is a big job. The parts will be modestly expensive but paying a technician to do it will be very expensive. HP would charge the absolute maximum to do this as that is not their business and they really do not want to fix out of warranty laptops. The only possible way to fix it for an affordable price (less than about $200 US) is to do the work yourself or find a volunteer technician. We can help with the details but very very few people opt to do the repair once the implications and cost become clear. Post back if you want more help. 

HP Recommended

Hey Huffer,

I greatly appreciate your feedback. If less than $200 is the most affordable for a fix than this, I might not have many options. I'm not a pro when it comes to fixing cosmetic issues. At the most I was able to replace the battery, however I think fixing hinges is a lot more complex. This has me thinking about a few other questions I've asked myself when it comes to cost.

If under roughly $200 is affordable, what is the most expensive amount of money I would pay for a repair like this?

How hard is it to do this fix myself?

I'm not willing to pay that much for a repair and I'm unsure about whether I can fix the problem myself. Given that I've had this computer for nearly 5 years and it continues to have this kind of a problem even after hp serviced it, I may just consider getting a new laptop. I'm still trying to weigh the costs of getting a new computer against repairing this pavilion.

HP Recommended

I could see a repair shop charging $400-600 parts + labor to do the repair. If you could remove and replace the battery and can follow instructions and carefully keep track of screws you can maybe do the repair. The big issue is replacing the lower casing requires removal of all internal components such as the motherboard and then reinstalling into a new unbroken lower case. $200 for the parts is an educated guess. I have seen people get by for more like $100 and sometimes the parts are even more. The devil is in the details and you do not know where the journey will lead until you are a good ways into it. A lot of people post questions here like can't I just upgrade the motherboard? and they have no idea what laptop parts cost and how much a good technician charges. Only slightly less per hour than a good auto mechanic. I have done this and similar repairs many times and am willing to be your source of information but I can't be there turning the screwdriver and there is only so much I can help. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.