Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 2000 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ok Let's Summarize the problems:

Battery lock is broken tried fixing but it cant be done. The whole base needs to be changed.

Battery is nearly dead lasts for only 5-8 mins that was before around 2 hours.

Bought in 2014.

The  performance drasticly decreased since 3 months.

He told that he mined monero on it using MinerGate around 6months ago but uninstalled it after 2 weeks.

I don't think performance went down because of mining as the problem started 3 months after uninstalling it.

He has decided to get the base and battery replaced.

FYI: The performance is really low. Even Google Chrome takes ~35 seconds to open.

For your context it will start hanging after opening 3 tabs.

Any suggestion to improve the performance?

BTW: He doesn't want to upgrade the processor, ram and graphics card.

Specs in Pics bellow:

Screenshot (7).pngScreenshot (8).png

If my post helped, please click the Kudos Button.

Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The battery is likely to need replacement. Batteries are only warranteed for one year and he has had it for a few years.

Reinstall Windows 10. The installation of a mining program is suspect and a reinstallation would take care of that issue. The Minergate mining program may have left the notebook as a bot and that would certainly explain low performance. His notebook may be part of a BotNet.

Take a read of the followng article.

https://www.kaspersky.com/blog/hidden-miners-botnet-threat/18488/

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

The battery is likely to need replacement. Batteries are only warranteed for one year and he has had it for a few years.

Reinstall Windows 10. The installation of a mining program is suspect and a reinstallation would take care of that issue. The Minergate mining program may have left the notebook as a bot and that would certainly explain low performance. His notebook may be part of a BotNet.

Take a read of the followng article.

https://www.kaspersky.com/blog/hidden-miners-botnet-threat/18488/

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.