Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15 ax-200nj (1GP17EAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've been using the laptop for a few months now and as far as i can recall it has always made a vibrating noise on one of the fans (one on the right side, next to power socket), however i finally decided to ask a question about it. After seeing a friend use the same laptop model i noticed his fan, while predictably loud, was not making such a noise.

The noise itself i would describe as between vibrating and rattling, being more the former. As i've got nothing to record the sound with i can't provide a video of it.

Of note should be the fact that the laptop does NOT overheat or shut down by itself. The integrated graphics heat up to ~70 deg Celsius, while dedicated graphics no more than ~65 degrees.
CPU's cores heat up to max 80 degrees, no slowdown's in operation have been noticed.

Overall, compared to my previous laptop i can safely put my hand around its numerical pad without the risk of getting burned, in contrary to my previous laptop. 

I have tried updating BIOS, but it appears to be up to date and making a hard reset on laptop, yet neither solves the issue, leading me to believe it's more of a mechanical problem with fan itself. I am going to disassemble it on friday (24.11.2017) and seeing if after detaching the fan the noise continues (with fan still being powered).

I do ask if someone knows or has met with a similar problem, and if so, knows a solution to it.

I'll give an update on situation after i dissasemble it.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Konrad_L

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher is at your service. 

As I understand the laptop is heating up and there's a vibrating noise from the fan,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Have you attempted to clean the vents or use a cooling pad?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

I have a few recommendations: 

• Updating your Notebook computer BIOS 

• Keeping notebook air vents clear and clean 

• Increasing the efficiency of the notebook to reduce heat 

• Using Windows Task Manager to identify corrupt processes 

• Selecting power saves settings to shut off your computer when it is not in use 

For more details: Click here 

NOTE: Generally, when temperatures inside the case rise above 35 degrees Celsius (95 degrees Fahrenheit), the risk of damaging important internal components increases greatly.

Also, to avoid the CPU damage, we do not recommend throttling or overclocking the CPU, I recommend you refrain from using high-performance games on this laptop as it's not built for the same.

That said, it's best you Contact HP to have the device either repaired/replaced if the issue persists after the above steps are completed, HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  

* Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

* Enter Product number or select to auto detect

* Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

* Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" button for my efforts to help you.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher wrote:

@Konrad_L

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher is at your service. 

As I understand the laptop is heating up and there's a vibrating noise from the fan,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Have you attempted to clean the vents or use a cooling pad?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

I have a few recommendations: 

• Updating your Notebook computer BIOS 

• Keeping notebook air vents clear and clean 

• Increasing the efficiency of the notebook to reduce heat 

• Using Windows Task Manager to identify corrupt processes 

• Selecting power saves settings to shut off your computer when it is not in use 

For more details: Click here 

NOTE: Generally, when temperatures inside the case rise above 35 degrees Celsius (95 degrees Fahrenheit), the risk of damaging important internal components increases greatly.

Also, to avoid the CPU damage, we do not recommend throttling or overclocking the CPU, I recommend you refrain from using high-performance games on this laptop as it's not built for the same.

That said, it's best you Contact HP to have the device either repaired/replaced if the issue persists after the above steps are completed, HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  

* Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

* Enter Product number or select to auto detect

* Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

* Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Have a great day!

BIOS is up to date and i am using a cooling pad after rather unfortunate experiences with previous laptop. There are no corrupted processes as far as I've managed to see. The laptop doesn't heat up to mentioned temperatures unless I'm tasking it quite heavily and, as i said, there are no slowdowns or self-shutdowns. It is fairly predictable that temperatures will rise when i'm tasking it close to capacity. Also i'm not overclocking nor throttling as i had no success with it in the past.
The critical temperatures i mentioned are not a stable temperature, only a peak momentary ones (except for integrated graphics which fore some strange reason seems to maintain mentioned heat level). At tasking use Average temperature rises, but again, that is to be expected.
The one issue i have is that vibrating ventilator which causes quite a bit of noise and concern whether it might cause physical damage to the internals.

HP Recommended

Also an interesting observation: rattling and vibrations become less pronounced as fans speed goes up.

HP Recommended

@Konrad_L

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

It looks to me like you've already done everything that could be done to resolve your concern,

And hence I recommend you Contact HP to have the device either repaired/replaced as advised before,

Please use the steps to Contact HP from my previous post as they should be able to help you out.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.