Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So, I figured out that my BIOS isn’t detecting my SSD. I wanted to update it so I bought a flash drive. Instead of the pc asking me if I want to update or make a recovery drive it freezes after extracting the somethingsomething.exe, is there any other way to make a recovery usb. Need help urgently

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

I would check and reseat power and data connections to the SSD.

Try different cables if possible. Try a different SATA port on the MB.

The SSD may be dead. Try connecting the SSD to a different PC via SATA (as a data drive) or USB adapter if possible.

Regards

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Some HP Laptops can do USB BIOS updates. You need to provide a product number only for your system to check this function.

I am not sure what you mean when you refer to making a recovery USB drive.

A recovery USB drive is not the same as a BIOS update USB drive.

Regards

HP Recommended

I am using an ASUS laptop. My PC isn’t working so I think I need to update the bios with the USB. But it is stuck. I can download the file but when I open it, this happens. It’s been like this for the past 30 minutes. I cannot move my mouse or use my keyboard.

image.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi,

You have to talk to Asus.

I update the BIOS on Asus Desktop motherboards using USB with no problems.

A .CAP file must be used to update a Asus Desktop motherboard. A Asus Laptop may have a different BIOS update protocol.

Put the .CAP file on a USB stick. Insert the USB stick in a USB port on the PC.

Start the PC and enter the BIOS.

Navigate to the BIOS update function.

The BIOS sees the BIOS update on the USB stick. Follow prompts to update the Asus BIOS.

Regards

HP Recommended

I think there is misunderstanding. I am using my ASUS laptop because my HP Pavilion Power Gaming Desktop PC is not working (Boot Device Not Found) I am trying to download BIOS update for my HP desktop with my ASUS Laptop. And then loading the BIOS Update files into USB flash, then into HP desktop.  But, this happens (see photo). I do not know if this is normal. Do I wait a few hours or does this take a few minutes?? 

HP Recommended

HI,

A boot device error may not be a BIOS problem.

Most HP consumer Desktop PCs don't support USB BIOS updates. See this (Link) on HP Desktop BIOS problems

Run HP diagnostics, "ESC', Then "F2", choose System Tests. This will check your storage device for problems.

You may have a bad HDD or bad SSD.

Regards

HP Recommended

Okay, I have a problem though. I can’t see my SSD in BIOS or test it. I have windows installed on my SSD and not my HDD and my HDD passed both tests.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I would check and reseat power and data connections to the SSD.

Try different cables if possible. Try a different SATA port on the MB.

The SSD may be dead. Try connecting the SSD to a different PC via SATA (as a data drive) or USB adapter if possible.

Regards

HP Recommended

I have tried a new SAT cable and tried a different port with no luck. I think that SSD might be dead. What is my best course of action now?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.