Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 14-cb057sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ok so this HP laptop has a 32GB C drive. I'm trying to update Windows 10 but it says there is no space.

I have nothing on my laptop and I mean nothing, no photos, no documents.

I have Maps and Facebook, thats it.

BUT when I look in settings at Computer, there is no D drive. Just C drive.

I've never had JUST a C drive  on any other laptop.

What's going on please? 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

There would only be a D:\ drive if your notebook either has a DVD drive or a partitioned disk with a recovery partition.

I have a few notebooks that just have C:\ drives only.

Notebooks with the 32 GB eMMC drives are very hard to deal with.

Periodically, you have to clean install W10.

That is the only way you will be able to continue to use the notebook.

I have a HP notebook with a 64 GB eMMC drive and even that gets low on space after a couple of years of use.

I keep my files on a SD card in that notebook.

So, if you want to clean install W10, make a bootable W10 USB drive with the media creation tool at the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

Boot from the USB installer and when you get to the part that asks 'Where do you want to install Windows,' delete every partition on the hard drive leaving just one partition of unallocated space.

Click Next, and W10 will install.

After W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP Stream 14-cb000 Laptop PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

Periodically, run the disk cleanup utility, and when the window opens, click on the Cleanup system files button.

The disk cleanup utility will run again and you can then check all of the boxes to delete files.

Sometimes the old windows updates files take up several GB of space.

I also use this free disk cleaning utility once a week, and it does a great job of cleaning junk files.

Wise Disk Cleaner - Free Disk Cleanup and Defrag Tool (wisecleaner.com)

If you do that, you will be able to use your notebook for a year or two before you have to clean install W10 again.

HP Recommended

Great, many thanks. I'll get an sd card too.

😁

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.