Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Compaq cq56
Chrome OS

Helo!

I am tryong to revive an old CQ56, that was misdiagnosed as dead. In a couple of repair shops the previous owner was told that the laptop has a dead motherboard, so i got it as a gift to dabble with. I cleaned it up, changed the thermal paste and reseated the ram, after all that and a full disscharge of the capacitors i got the laptop up and running with a 32 bit copy of windows 7. Although it was running extremely slow the laptop was working but i decided that a 64 bit copy of chromium os was going to bring a better life to this device (that was in mint condition). Here comes the problem! When i run chromium for more than a few minutes the laptop just shuts down since it cannot detect the battery. I tried turning it on with the battery unplugged, but it just did not go beyond post. Under windows 7 the laptop did not even detect the battery when it was plugged in. My question is, could the dead battery be the real problem here or the 65W charger can not supply enough current to the system for it to run smoothly and with no interruptions. I also noticed that when i let it cool down (since the battery got quite hot while plugged in) it worked for about 15-20 minutes before heating back up and shutting down. I often get a "warning" that the battery is low and it was swiching from charging to low and back to charginf again. The battery does not hold any charge what so ever. The specs are: 2gigs of ddr3 ram, amd v160 procesor (which as far as i could figure is 25W) and an amd gpu (forgot the exact model of it and i can't find the info inchromium since i'm new to the os). Could a simple swap of the battery be the key to fully reviving this old laptop or is there a further problem e.g. The charger. Do mind that this machine is almost 10 years old but the previous owner did take a real good care of it (not a single scratch nor a speck of dust nor any signs of liquid damage were found) Thank you in advance!

S. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@CFC232  Welcome to HP Community!

Please perform the component test of the battery and check for the result.

According to the specification of the computer uses a 65w AC adapter.

If the battery test is failing, then you have to replace the battery.

Keep us posted,
If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

I ran the teat as you said and the battery life is at its end... I was wondering why it could not run off the 65W charger tho... I am going to order a new battery for it also a better CPU as i found it supports AMD p360 which is a dual core cpu i wonder if updating the bios is a good idea tho.... The current one seems to be quite limited in terms of options the menu is basic and has almost nothing other than info and a few basic setrings for date and time, boot options, preformance checks and passwords... (i think it's locked)  anyways i don't think that this thread is the place for more quesrions involving the project since it was for the battery problem. If you're curious tho i can update the status of the project and get some more oppinions on it so far i opted out of chromium os, since i can't play any videos despite downloading a media player. The idea behind the restoration is to give my parents a working laptop for moves, emails and basic computer skills learning (like working with ms office tools, web browsing and searching w/e) thanks again irtual high five granted! 

HP Recommended

@CFC232

Thank you for the information. 

I would suggest you replace the battery and check. 

If you need further assistance, please reply back. 

Keep us posted,
If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.