Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-ac151dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Notebook currently has a 1TB HDD with specs: 5400rpm SATA 2.5" 9.5mm, Toshiba MQ01ABD100.

I would like to upgrade to a SSD and am wondering if there are any compatibility issues. Can I upgrade to any 2.5" 9.5mm SATA SSD?

Additionally I was planning on replacing the HDD with the SSD but have seen some laptops with additional space to simply add a SSD, what is the case with my HP 15-ac151dx laptop?

Any help appreciated, thank you. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@sc30gt

You can replace 1TB 2.5" HDD with 1TB 2.5" SSD (it is thinner, only 7mm or even 6.35mm). The whole series only has option for HDD's that means no slot for M.2 SSD

Supports 6.35-cm (2.5-in) SATA hard drives in 9.5-mm (.37-in) and 7.0-mm (.28-in) thicknesses
Single hard drive configurations:

● 2-TB, 5400-rpm, 9.5-mm

● 1-TB, 5400-rpm, 9.5-mm

● 1-TB, 5400-rpm + 8 GB NAND hybrid, 9.5-mm

● 750-GB, 5400-rpm, 9.5-mm

● 500-GB, 5400-rpm, 9.5-mm or 7.0-mm

SSHD configuration:

● 1-TB, 5400-rpm + 8GB NAND Hybrid hard drive, 9.5mm

Other option if you wish:

(a) Replace HDD with 2.5" SSD as above,

(b) Replace ODD (aka CD/DVD) with the old HDD using something similar to the following adapter:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SATA-2nd-HDD-SSD-Hard-Drive-Caddy-for-12-7mm-Universal-CD-DVD-ROM-Optical...

Note: you need  Fixed, serial ATA, 9.5-mm, NOT 12.7mm as ahown above.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I have an HP ENVY Notebook - 17t-n100 CTO product number L9C21AV. I have a failing TOSHIB MQ01ABD100 SCSI Disk Device that failed the diag test and want to know what kind of SSD device can I replace it with. 

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.