Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 3165 NGW
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I can charge my laptop when it is completely powered off, but as soon as I turn the laptop on, it stops charging and starts running out of battery even though it is still plugged in and the white light comes on to show that it is plugged in.

The same issue as was already raised as we can see in ticket here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Laptop-won-t-charge-when-it-s-t...

based on the answer given I needed to do couple things, so lets look at this:

Q: Did you try reinstalling the battery drivers? 

A: I really do not know how to do that and I see that I can uninstall them but will I be able to install them again - I do not know. Where can I find the correct drivers and how to reinstall them? Currently the drivers are all up to date.

Q: Have you updated the BIOS? Please do if you haven't, already: Click here to find it.

A: All is up to date.

Meanwhile, try the below steps to reinstall the battery drivers:

• Unplug the charge and use the laptop until the battery drains to 15%. DONE
  • Turn off the laptop and turn it back on after 30mins. DONE
  • Reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager,  ??? What does this mean ???
  • Restart the computer and the issue should be fixed. 

------------

So based on the above fix I understand that I should now uninstall battery drivers (both of them and then when after 30 min I turn the laptop back on I should install them again (Will they be given automatically, I don't know what to install once drivers are gone) , then restart laptop and all fixed? 

So what is the right action? I understand that this is common issue with these laptops. I have 2 of these so it is easy to check battery and power cord and see if problem is there and it's not. Currently I can run my laptop only on battery power that is charged when laptop is turned off. 

Also - interesting that while I was trying to find the problem, on one occasion the laptop started to charge the battery. That was when wire was in, laptop turned on and battery not charging. Then I did shut it down. Started again with power button. And battery was charging. All ok till next shut down. And that never worked again so it's clear that there is a bug. 

Looking forward to see the fix.

TNX

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@VGoodman

I reviewed your post and I understand that the battery is not getting charged when the laptop is powered on.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Follow the below steps to reinstall the battery driver.

Step 1: Click the Windows “Start” button and right-click “Computer.”

Step 2: Click “Manage,” then “Device Manager.”

Step 3: Click the “Batteries” section. A list of devices will appear.

Step 4: Right-click the “Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery” device and click “Uninstall.”

Step 5: Click the “Action” menu item and “Scan for Hardware Changes” to reinstall the driver.

If you continue facing the issue, then contact support as it might be an issue with the battery connection or the charging board.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.