Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavillon

Hello!

I also have the same problem, my left ctrl key isn't working but the problem might be randomly pressing a button. I was playing Minecraft (come on lad, it is just a game), then suddenly, the game stopped then I opened the windows menu of my laptop. The function like the screen brightness located on those and the volume buttons aren't working. It seems that I have reseted the function of those keys. After resetting the laptop, the keys were back to normal except the left ctrl key. Everytime I execute the CTRL+C (copy), the whole text I highlighted is deleted and replaced by letter c. Any fix to this? All I can remember before the problem is that my hand was only hovering over the left side of the keyboard, with my right holding the mouse, might've pressed a function key or something.

core i3

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi! @IhaveAname, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand the left control key has stopped functioning on your PC.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your laptop?

Have you tried checking with an external keyboard?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

Check if any key on the keyboard has got stuck or pressed.

Try the steps recommended below.

Try restoring the BIOS to default.

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Try the steps recommended below and check if it helps.

In Device Manager, uninstall and reinstall the keyboard software:
In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
Click View and select Show Hidden Devices.
Click the arrow next to Keyboards, right-click the keyboard device name, then select Uninstall to remove the device from Windows.
Continue removing device names in the Keyboards category until all device names have been uninstalled.
Restart the notebook. Right-click Start (), select Shut down or sign out, then select Restart.
Wait for the computer to restart and open Windows.

Method 1: To check if Ctrl keys work in Onscreen keyboard.

Press Windows Key + R and type osk and hit Enter.
Try using Ctrl keys and check if that helps.

if you still face the issue, try Method 2.

Method 2: Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with the Bluetooth adapter. Refer these steps:

Press Windows key + X, select Control panel.

Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot keyboard issues with your laptop. Click Here

Also, try running a system diagnostics test on your PC and check if the hardware components on your PC to assist you better.

Refer this article to know more information about using system diagnostics. Click Here 

Hope to hear from you soon!

Have a great weekend ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

After doing the BIOS Setup Default fix, the starting screen displays "Boot Device not found, please insert your OS" with the error code 3F0. What should I do now?

I did the Quick and the long/extensive diagnostic test on both memory and hard drive through pressing F2, yet no problem was found. I repeatedly did the Setup Default option but nothing worked so far.

HP Recommended

Tried alt+ctrl+fn? Most people had the same problem and solved this with this shortcut.

HP Recommended

@IhaveAname, Thanks for writing back to us.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned you are getting boot device not found with error 3F0 on your PC.

It looks an operating system issue. One of the core operating system files on your PC might have got corrupted or deleted due to which you have issues booting and you are getting a 3F0 error.

Try performing a system recovery on your PC and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know more information about performing a system recovery. Click Here

Lastly, refer this article to further troubleshoot boot device not found errors. Click Here

Let me know if this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.