Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp Pavilion DV2500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I have question on the HP Pavilion DV2500 laptop.  At one time the lights that indicate quick play, dvd, sound  etc, used to be on. I pressed a button  and held on to it ( I think it the F7 or f8) and they all turn off, how can I get them to turn back up. Also, I notice that the sound can also be turn on and off, but I just can get what button to press. I think they are associated with Fn keys. Does any body know to fix this issue. I did see anything about this on  the manual, it only states what the light means, but it does not mention how to turn them off or on. Any advice is really appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@CroceFan
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes?
  • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: 

To use function key: Press fn and the left shift key at the same time to enable fn (function) mode. When the fn key light is on, you must press the fn key and a function key to activate the default action.

Click herehttps://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02951398 to discover useful keyboard features in Windows that can make navigation, tasks, and functions quicker and easier.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for replying

I  am sorry  I should have mention is the light the quick play. I am using windows 10 64 bit. When I install the windows the lights used to on. Something strange happened because I was losing the sound. I believe the problem was sound driver so I tried  install the one windows vista and it not take it. Anyway after few tries the sound came back and windows install a generic driver. At this stage the lights where working.  But then when I restarted the computer  sound was not working and  to make matters worse I could not see any sound drivers on the windows manager.At this stage I try to see if the function keys would turn in the sound card since windows was not detecting it.  It was kind of strange but when the pressed the function the light when dimmed then I press some other key the lights would brighten.  'I saw the speaker light go  and off on. I tried using the FN ? and the functions keys to see if I could keep the speaker light on, but at this stage I lost all the lights. I have given up the lights but I would to the sound to work again. For some reason when I go and reinstall windows I am able to get the sound to work, but when I do shut down or restart i lose the sound,.  Here is the strange part windows install a generic driver dated 2007 and it works, but if it updates sound driver or I restart the computer I will lose the sound. Any ideas about his issue ?

HP Recommended

@CroceFan That is quite strange, most likely the feature is removed from the new updates, if you wish to continue using the old driver, you may want to disable automatic updates, until Microsoft sorts that out, I suggest you send out a feedback regarding the same using this link: click here

And here are the steps to disable auto-updates:

1. Press the Windows logo key + R at the same time to invoke the Run box.

2. Type services.msc and press Enter.

invoke run box and type services.msc

3. Scroll down to Windows Update, and double-click it.

find windows update and double-click it

4. In Startup type, select "Disabled". Then click "Apply" and "OK" to save the settings.

disable the windows update service

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.