Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 17-by4063cl
Linux

Hello,

I have been using HP products for a very long time. My 2009 and 2007 Desktops are still going strong as my daily drivers. On the other hand, my 2014 Acer laptop began to show its age, so I decided to purchase a HP laptop over Black Friday. Since I rather live in North Korea than use Windows 10 or 11, I decided to look into installing Linux Mint 20. When I booted up the Live USB, the first problem I noticed was that the trackpad didn't work and the display is only at 1024X768. I didn't think much of it since my new work laptop had some device issues as well until I upgrade the kernel to 5.11. When I selected the install program, and began going through setup, I was greeted with a message saying that there wasn't enough storage in the computer. Alarmed, I opened gparted and realized that my internal drive was not being detected. I did a quick Bing and found that some fixed the issue by disabling Secure Boot. Upon doing that in the EFI settings and returned to the install program, I got the same error. Does anyone know of how to get Linux to see my internal drive? Should I open the notebook and use a USB to SATA adapter and another computer to install Linux Mint to the drive? Also the box  said that I was suppose to have a 90 day warranty, however upon adding the serial to the dashboard, it said that the warranty expired two days after purchasing the laptop.

Any help would be appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I successfully got Linux Mint to see the drive and installed by taking the drive out of the laptop and connecting it via USB to SATA and then placing it back it the laptop. Laptop now boots in less then 15 seconds and now working on transferring my data over.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Your issue may be the same I had with my new laptop, you need the correct drivers.

See my post here

Solved: My new laptop will not detect new hard drive. - HP Support Community - 8240697

Try these drivers

HP Recommended

I successfully got Linux Mint to see the drive and installed by taking the drive out of the laptop and connecting it via USB to SATA and then placing it back it the laptop. Laptop now boots in less then 15 seconds and now working on transferring my data over.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.