Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook-15-f387wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I got this computer from a friend because it had an hdd failure message so i replaced the hard drive with one that I KNOW works because i was just using it in another pc and the new drive won't pass the Long DST,  any ideas why a new hdd is also failing20190301_052456.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Took the pc apart again, swapped the SATA cable for a new one, still no good, I'm assuming the motherboard is shot, ah well. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Could be the SATA controller on the motherboard is bad such that no drive will work. Error messages also sometimes get stuck in the BIOS and a hard reset will clear it. Remove battery and AC hold down power button 30 seconds...then plug in just AC and power up and see if error is cleared. If not I think likely a bad motherboard. 

HP Recommended

I tried a hard reboot earlier, guess it might be a bad motherboard,  that's unfortunate. 

HP Recommended

Yes sorry. Try reseating the hard drive one more time. 

HP Recommended

I'll give that a shot in just a bit. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Its an extreme Hail Mary longshot but what do you have to lose?

HP Recommended

Do you know if the processor can be removed from these laptops? I know some have them welded on.

HP Recommended

Not that one. Its definitely soldered on. You can probably pick up a used one on eBay for less than $100. It was not very expensive new. 

HP Recommended

Took the pc apart again, swapped the SATA cable for a new one, still no good, I'm assuming the motherboard is shot, ah well. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.