cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
AustinP
Level 1
6 4 1 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Solved!

Long DST Failure

HP Recommended
HP Notebook-15-f387wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I got this computer from a friend because it had an hdd failure message so i replaced the hard drive with one that I KNOW works because i was just using it in another pc and the new drive won't pass the Long DST,  any ideas why a new hdd is also failing20190301_052456.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AustinP
Author
Level 1
6 4 1 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Took the pc apart again, swapped the SATA cable for a new one, still no good, I'm assuming the motherboard is shot, ah well. 

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
8 REPLIES 8
Huffer
Level 18
Level 18
46,388 25,074 7,470 10,912
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Could be the SATA controller on the motherboard is bad such that no drive will work. Error messages also sometimes get stuck in the BIOS and a hard reset will clear it. Remove battery and AC hold down power button 30 seconds...then plug in just AC and power up and see if error is cleared. If not I think likely a bad motherboard. 

AustinP
Author
Level 1
6 4 1 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried a hard reboot earlier, guess it might be a bad motherboard,  that's unfortunate. 

Huffer
Level 18
Level 18
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes sorry. Try reseating the hard drive one more time. 

AustinP
Author
Level 1
6 4 1 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'll give that a shot in just a bit. Thanks.

Huffer
Level 18
Level 18
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Its an extreme Hail Mary longshot but what do you have to lose?

AustinP
Author
Level 1
6 4 1 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Do you know if the processor can be removed from these laptops? I know some have them welded on.

Huffer
Level 18
Level 18
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Not that one. Its definitely soldered on. You can probably pick up a used one on eBay for less than $100. It was not very expensive new. 

AustinP
Author
Level 1
6 4 1 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Took the pc apart again, swapped the SATA cable for a new one, still no good, I'm assuming the motherboard is shot, ah well. 

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation