Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 17-by0062st
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am randomly hearing a "clack" sound like putting something down on hard plastic, coming from the right side of my laptop. It is very brief (1 second at the longest) and does not persist for any length of time. It happens randomly, maybe once a day, maybe once every few days. When I look at Task Manager, it usually (when I catch it ) shows a sudden ~1 second or less spike under Disk in the Performance Tab to between 50-60ish percent. I looked into possible HDD issues, but when I run CrystalDiskInfo or HWiNFO, neither find anything wrong. I cannot find any errors around the time it happens in Event Viewer. I have had no issues with freezing, slowing down, or apparent instability. Chrome works fine, YouTube runs fine (I've had it happen once while a video was fullscreen and the video didn't even hitch), and I can open File Explorer without issue.

I don't know if it is related, but I have also heard a bleep (like a cross between pressing a number on a phone's dial pad an the sticky keys sound) twice, maybe weeks apart, but never coinciding with the clack. In the same way, I can't find anything on it in Event Viewer, nothing in CDI/HWiNFO, no apparent running issues, no error popups.

I was advised to run the Harddrive diagnostics to see if they could find something. I ran the Short Drive Self Test and passed. I ran the Long Drive Self Test, left for a few hours, woke it up from sleep and it said that it failed, but it gave no Failure ID, just "-", so I dunno if it's a fluke or what. I have a screenshot of it if necessary.

I got this laptop as a gift and am really not in a financial situation to replace it, so I really want to figure out if this is something that I should be worried about, and if it is, how I can solve it.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@SamaelQliphoth, welcome back to the forum.

If the one of the hard drive tests showed that the hard drive is failing, I would say this is the cause of the noise.  It appears that your computer is still under waranty.  I suggest contacting HP Customer Support to see what they have to say.  In the meantime, I suggest making a backup of your personal data just to be on the safe side.  You will be much happier if the drive does fail.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

I was looking through Event Viewer for another issue and noticed that two entries, "compaq dfw" and "hpvision", kept failing to work (the first one being a diagnostic driver for disk checks that I am told isn't even for notebooks like mine) and around the time the scan supposedly finished, there was a timeout for a DNS response to an HP site. Might this have anything to do with the Long test failing without a Failure ID while the Short test passed?

HP Recommended

@SamaelQliphoth, thank you for the additional information.

I am not certain what the log entries would have to do with the tests.  I believe contacting HP Customer Support is still your best option.  This will assure that they are on notice that you may have a failing hard drive.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.