Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
ENVY 17.u273cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The manual specified 256GB or 512GB M2 SATA SSD.  Could a 1TB M2 SATA SSD be installed instead?

If 512GB is the maximum installation size, is that due to the hardware limitation from this laptop design?  Or software limitation?

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi:

The SSD capacities are just what HP offered in that model series.

Below is the link to the Crucial memory/SSD report for your PC.

According to the report, they offer a compatible 1 TB SATA M.2 SSD for sale.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hP---Compaq/envy-17-u273cl

HP Recommended

Thanks for prompt reply!

But I just found the M.2 slot header not installed on my HP laptop.

One of the Torx5 M2.0×11.9 screws kept spinning but not coming out.  I believe its brass sleeve is spinning inside the plastic post anchor.  It cannot be unscrewed or pulled out.

The warrantee of my laptop has already expired.  I try to find a way to cut the head of that screw so that I can replace the HHD with a SSD.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, that happens on several models.

If you look in chapter 3, pp15-16 of the manual, different motherboards are used in models that came with mechanical hard drives or M.2 SSD's.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05282360

HP Recommended

When I bought this HP laptop, all I know it is a HP ENVY 17.u273cl.  Some of these models have M.2 slot header installed but some are not.  How may I find that out before buying?

One of the Torx5 M2.0×11.9 corner screws of the back cover kept spinning but not coming out.  I believe its brass sleeve is spinning inside the plastic post anchor.  It cannot be unscrewed or pulled out.  If you have any solution on that, it would be great.

HP Recommended

The only way I know of to find out info prior to buying would be to come here and ask.

Even finding and reading the service manual isn't a 100% sure bet,

I just got a HP notebook & chapter 1 of its service manual indicated the memory was onboard and could not be upgraded.

That was incorrect.  Someone else on this forum opened one up and found the memory was indeed removable 

As for how to get the stuck screw out, unfortunately that I do not know.

HP Recommended

Just in case my HHD fails and I'm still unable to remove the back cover, can this laptop be booted from an external USB SSD?

HP Recommended

You should be able to boot from an external USB hard drive, but I don't know if you can boot from one with an actual Windows OS on it.

HP Recommended

To replace the current HDD, I plan to use Macrium Reflect to clone the new SSD via a USB-to-SATA adapter cable, and then swap out the HDD.  Will this work?

I would think Microsoft's Media Creation Tool and HP Recovery Media are other two possibilities.

HP Recommended

Yes, both options would work.

A third option would be to make a bootable USB recovery drive using the HP cloud recovery tool that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.