Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17 AB051NA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to upgrade the 128GB M.2 SSD that came with this laptop.

I'm thinking of ordering a Samsung 1TB M.2 SSD, but there is a version of that drive that supports NVMe that is much faster.

Does the motherboard accept and recognise all of the space available on a 1TB M.2 SSD?

Will the additonal speed assocated with an NVMe version work with this motherboard, or give me no advantage over a standard 2280 M.2 SATA SSD (M-edge key connector)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @PaulFraBroxburn,

Good Day! Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! 🙂 I understand that you require information regarding the supported SSD for your computer and you would like to know if the Samsung SSD is supported or not. t will be a delight to assist you here. 🙂

Brilliant effort and superb diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score. 🙂 I am amazed at your technical expertise. 🙂

We greatly value your relationship with HP. You are a valued HP customer and we appreciate you greatly for doing business with HP. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you.:)

First off, I reviewed both the product specifications of the computer and the service and maintenance guide.

I will give you the list of supported SSDs based on the service guide.

Link for product specifications: http://support.hp.com/ie-en/product/HP-Pavilion-17-Notebook-PC-series/10862170/model/12237263/docume...

Link for service and maintenance guide: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05123465

It supports these SSds only. The capacity and the relevant part number is also given.

(M.2)

Description Spare part number

M.2 SATA SSD, PCIe NVMe TLC

● 128 GB 2280 M2 SATA-3 Value PA 827560-026

● 256 GB 2280 M2 PCIe 3x4SS NVMe TLC-PA, for use with non-touch screen products 847109-002

● 512 GB 2280 M2 PCIe 3x4SS NVMe TLC-PA, for use with non-touch screen products 847110-004

Please refer pages 35-37 for more information in this regard.

Please note that HP does not recommend upgrading either the operating system or the computer’s hardware as the components that were initially installed with the unit are certified by

HP for optimal performance. However, as you are very technically inclined, I would still request you to consult a local technician like Best Buy or Staples before proceeding to upgrade the unit.

To put it simply, the Samsung SSD may not get supported. 

So please contact a local Best Buy or staples technician and perform the upgrade so that there are no compatibility issues with the SSD for your computer and everything works smoothly.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.:)

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi @PaulFraBroxburn,

Good Day! Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! 🙂 I understand that you require information regarding the supported SSD for your computer and you would like to know if the Samsung SSD is supported or not. t will be a delight to assist you here. 🙂

Brilliant effort and superb diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score. 🙂 I am amazed at your technical expertise. 🙂

We greatly value your relationship with HP. You are a valued HP customer and we appreciate you greatly for doing business with HP. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you.:)

First off, I reviewed both the product specifications of the computer and the service and maintenance guide.

I will give you the list of supported SSDs based on the service guide.

Link for product specifications: http://support.hp.com/ie-en/product/HP-Pavilion-17-Notebook-PC-series/10862170/model/12237263/docume...

Link for service and maintenance guide: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05123465

It supports these SSds only. The capacity and the relevant part number is also given.

(M.2)

Description Spare part number

M.2 SATA SSD, PCIe NVMe TLC

● 128 GB 2280 M2 SATA-3 Value PA 827560-026

● 256 GB 2280 M2 PCIe 3x4SS NVMe TLC-PA, for use with non-touch screen products 847109-002

● 512 GB 2280 M2 PCIe 3x4SS NVMe TLC-PA, for use with non-touch screen products 847110-004

Please refer pages 35-37 for more information in this regard.

Please note that HP does not recommend upgrading either the operating system or the computer’s hardware as the components that were initially installed with the unit are certified by

HP for optimal performance. However, as you are very technically inclined, I would still request you to consult a local technician like Best Buy or Staples before proceeding to upgrade the unit.

To put it simply, the Samsung SSD may not get supported. 

So please contact a local Best Buy or staples technician and perform the upgrade so that there are no compatibility issues with the SSD for your computer and everything works smoothly.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.:)

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I really appreciate the detailed reply David. Thank you very much. Its good to see NVMe drives are supported, and I'll see about getting a 512GB NVMe drive instead of the 1TB drive.

I'll let you know when acquired and fitted.
Regards, Paul.
HP Recommended

Hi @PaulFraBroxburn,

I reviewed the super quick post. Thanks for the response.

It has been amazing working with you with such profound knowledge of computers and great technical skills. 🙂 Thank you for posting and giving me the privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂 It's been an awesome experience.

Trust me I've done everything I can to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. I hope the unit after repair works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂

Also, ensure that your computer has a touchscreen. only then the 512 GB SSD is supported.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

You take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Update: "SAMSUNG 960 PRO 512GB M.2 NVME" ordered from NovaTech.

Now investigating ways to clone the existing 128GB M.2 drive to the new M.2 drive before installing it.

HP Recommended

Hi @PaulFraBroxburn,

Thanks for the super quick response. I reviewed the post. Please ensure that your computer is a touchscreen before ordering it. Also, check with a local technician for compatibility before installing it on your machine.

I sit far away and not by the computer to inspect things comprehensively. Hope I was clairvoyant to assist you better. 🙂 Just an old joke of mine. 🙂 I hope the new SSD works great on the machine.

Also, you've been absolutely superb to work with considering your profound technical expertise. I thank you for giving me the privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved and the printer works great and stays healthy for a long time to come. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

You take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Paul

I was wondering how you got on - I have pretty much an identical Pavilion and want to upgade the internal Sandisk M2 128GB SSD to a Samsung.  Would prefer PCIe NVME to plain SATA, but the cloning process seems more difficult.  One problem is that AFAIK you can't get PCIe NVME to USB adapters, so you can't clone and swap drives. Any info welcome

Thanks Charles

ps I have a Pavilion 17 ab051na, which in the UK (from Currys) has the 128GB SSD fitted

HP Recommended
Hi Charles,
I have an AB051NA with 512GB Samsung NVME M.2 SSD and 16GB RAM... which is what I wanted to achieve.
The process of upgrading was not straightforward, but mainly due to my own reticence at buying a suitable Caddy for a USB connected M.2 drive. The computer only has one slot, and many of the backup/restore techniques I tried using USB sticks, NAS storage etc failed to work. I ended up partitioning the 1GB internal drive to have a 150GB backup area for the system image, but still ended up using a factory reset to get the computer usable with the new drive. This was practical for me because I'd only just bought the computer so it didn't have anything I couldn't simply reinstall.

My advice is... if you are good with computers... go ahead and do the upgrade. It future-proofs what is already a pretty good spec for the money, as well as ensuring great performance.
Make sure you create a set of restore media before you start. Whilst you can always simply put back the old drive, the restore media is useful for getting into various recovery options with the new drive installed.
You will need to bugger about with BIOS settings to allow the new drive and to boot from other media.
I can't wrote more just now, but post again if you need any help.
Paul
HP Recommended

Hi @PaulFraBroxburn,

Brilliant Job. A very good day to you. Thanks for visiting the HP forums. Superb troubleshooting. Great effort and fabulous solution to an issue that you've resolved. Thanks for sharing this information on HP forums for several others to benefit. I am amazed at your technical expertise.

It was magnanimous on your part to share this valuable piece of information.

I genuinely hope the computer works great and stays healthy for a  long time.

You take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Paul

Thanks a lot for your good ideas.  I'd like to preserve the C / boot drive if I can as it's loaded with software and personal tweaks & preferences.  All the other stuff is backed up.

I'll give Clonezilla a try. i've used it before on Win 7 and Linux with great success maybe Win 10 works to - i'll post the results sometime

Charles

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.