Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17t-ab000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased this  new touchscreen laptop with the 128GB SSD as the C Drive and the 1 TB HDD as the D Drive.  I want to upgrade to a larger SSD. But first I want to apologize in advance as I am not a computer techie but know enough to get into trouble, so excuse my seemingly lame questions.   According to the HP Maintenance Service Guide for this laptop I should have a 128GB 2280  M.2 SATA-3 Value PA .  I want to be know that I can access the OEM  SSD before purchasing the replacement.

1.  Which Samsung EVO (500 GB or 1TB SSD) is compatible with my laptop.

2.  Will I still be able to use the touchscreen?

2.  The Maintenance Service Guide identifies 13 screws to be removed after removing the battery and the one screw holding the optical drive.   Are there any other hidden screws I've missed?

3. It appears that I have to 'pry' the base cover from the keyboard but I have no clue as to where to begin to pry, the best direction to continue prying and precautions to take.  It's pretty fragile under there.  Anybody that could walk me through step by step or with a video link would be greatly appreciated.   

Larry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well the first thing to get you is the Manual:

Service Manual

See pages 40 and 41 showing you the location of all the screws. The best way to then get the back cover off is to get an old credit card or other nonmarring plastic tool and insert it between the plastic bottom and top halves at the corner by the hinges and then you just have to work it open by sliding it in an ever expanding path as the little snaps come undone. Look at this and post back and see if you can get there. 

This is not your model but is relevant. See how he uses the tool beginning at about 4:45 into the video. That is what I mean. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Das2Ag3B1F8&t=10s

Post back with additional questions

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Well the first thing to get you is the Manual:

Service Manual

See pages 40 and 41 showing you the location of all the screws. The best way to then get the back cover off is to get an old credit card or other nonmarring plastic tool and insert it between the plastic bottom and top halves at the corner by the hinges and then you just have to work it open by sliding it in an ever expanding path as the little snaps come undone. Look at this and post back and see if you can get there. 

This is not your model but is relevant. See how he uses the tool beginning at about 4:45 into the video. That is what I mean. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Das2Ag3B1F8&t=10s

Post back with additional questions

HP Recommended

Thanks Huffer.  I already had the service manual showing the screw locations but appreciate the Youtube video on how to 'pry' the base cover from the keyboard.  My previous laptop was really simple to replacing memory and the HDD.  Why HP made this model so difficult is a wonder in itself.  

HP Recommended

Thanks. This was really a great help for finding out which SSD I need and open the laptop case. Without this tip I had to go back to the store. Great laptop but only very small ssd.

HP Recommended

Glad to have been of help. You may want to consider marking as solution as that makes it easier for others to find it from a search engine. 

HP Recommended

I'll gladly do that but how can I do that?

Since my laptops are working fine (as usual with HP) I have no experience on this website.

HP Recommended

Inside the posts in a thread you created should be a link that says "accept as solution". Just click it. 

HP Recommended

I'm sorry but I stil can not find an option with that name.

HP Recommended

Because this is a different User Name account than the one you initially used to post the question. No problem. The mods got it. Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.