Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 17-bs034ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop has an ssd m2 connector on the motherboard. Motherboard HP 833A. I bought a new Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe 500gb SSD. And I inserted it into the laptop in the M. 2 connector. Windows 10 does not see the SSD. What is the problem?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

The reason the drive isn't working is because your notebook's M.2 slot only supports SATA M.2 SSD's, not NVMe.

See chapter 1 of the service manual for the supported drive types...

HP 17 Laptop PCHP 17g Laptop PCHP 17q Laptop PC Maintenance and Service Guide

HP Recommended

In instruction I saw:

M.2 SATA-3 solid-state drive:256-GB, 128-GB. M.2 SATA configurations (TLC):512-GB, 256-GB, 128-GB.

So. Can I use the ssd's with larger capacity?

HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, you can install a larger capacity M.2 SATA SSD.

The storage capacity is just what HP offered in the model series.

I would not go more than a 2 TB one though.

HP Recommended

I can certainly be stupid. But. If my ssd drive is inserted into the slot in the motherboard, then why can't it work? Okay, the SATA interface. And how do I make my NVMe drive work with my motherboard? Are there ways? I'm just not satisfied with the speed at which the SATA interfaces work in 2021((

HP Recommended

And I immediately have a counter question. Can I replace the motherboard in my laptop? On a board with NVMe interface support.

HP Recommended

You would think that a NVMe drive would work by looking at the slot.

But here is the deal...All the HP M.2 slots that I know of look like they will fit a NVMe drive, but you have to look at the service manual to see what the slot actually supports.

Some support NVMe + SATA, some support NVMe only, and some support SATA only.

I don't know of any HP notebook where the slot has two keys that would only accommodate a SATA drive.

Unfortunately, there is no way on earth that you will be able to get a NVMe SSD work in your notebook.

To replace the motherboard would cost more than you originally paid for the notebook, and every supported motherboard only supports SATA SSD's.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.