Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issue? Click here for tips and tricks.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone,

I have an EliteBook 840 G6 that has an empty M.2 slot reserved for a WWAN card, I was wondering if it is possible to put an M.2 SSD in there, 

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I think it's possible, according to this article you will need M.2 B+M keyed SATA SSD of appropriate physical size, but this configuration is not documented nor supported by HP.

This means anything could happen, you can fry your laptop, fry new M.2 SSD, nothing will happen and SSD won't be detected by BIOS, or it will work as intended.

Too many precautions, measurements, pin and PCB traces, etc, have to be performed before attempting this "upgrade" to be sure it will be safe.

Personally, I don't think its worth the risk, keeping in mind the small size of SSD, that can't even be a fast NVMe type.

HP Recommended

@adnane27 

Sorry for jumping in. Physically the slot connectors may be the same but the controller behind is difference.  Normally there are 3 types (called sockets) of M.2 slot

Socket 1 is designed for Wi-Fi, Bluetooth®, NFC and WI Gig

Socket 2 is designed for WWAN, SSD (caching) and GNSS   - you are talking about this one

Socket 3 is designed for SSDs (both SATA and PCIe, up to x4 performance)

In theory you can put a short SSD for cache but talking about M.2 SATA or NVMe, it is not recommended because you won't get speed.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.