Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Probook 470 G4. ProdID Y8A86EA#ABU. S/N#5CD70253Q1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to upgrade my SATA HDD to an M.2 SSD. There is a slot for it inside the PC and I already have an M.2 (SATA with B+M) which I have cloned from my existing HDD by using an External USB Flash Drive.  However the PC will not recognise the M.2. Do I need to do anything else - for example with the Bios?  If anyone has any tips (and a step by step instruction would be handy) I would be grateful

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual.

HP ProBook 470 G4 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide

Chapter 1 has the supported drive types and configurations.

Only SATA M.2 SSD's are supported, not NVMe.

My conjecture is that since dual drive configurations (SSD + 2.5" HDD) are not listed, they are not supported.

Disconnect the 2.5" SATA drive and see if the M.2 drive boots up.

If it does, then you will only be able to use the notebook with either a 2.5" drive or a M.2 SATA drive.

HP Recommended

Hi, I'd already tried that, same thing, not recognised. I have the service manual on file but someone somewhere (I cannot remember where) indicated that there is a setting in the Bios that also needs to be amended but I obviously do want to muck around with that unless I can get specific instructions.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.