Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy 15-w100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've always had a problem with the tracpad sticking and when I've replaced my battery I find that there is a "magnet bracket middle" which seems to be the problem. I've taken it out, what is this for, should I put it back? 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Timfk If there's a component inside your computer that's magnetic, it's most likely the speaker, or something your device needs, I wouldn't remove it if I was you, instead, please run a hardware test using the below steps to identify if there are any hardware malfunctions on your device and we could repair/replace the faulty parts accordingly:

Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  • Click Extensive Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, so I ran the test and within a few seconds got this response:

Blown Fuse (42)

Fail ID: 94N3GW-8ST9PF-GXGJLK-C08003

Product ID : N7J89EA#ABU

I don't think this relates to my magnet question. My battery wouldn't charge up, so I've replaced it, but the new one doesn't charge either. 

HP Recommended

@Timfk If you've got a replacement battery and that doesn't work either, I'm afraid this could be a faulty charging port on the motherboard, repairing/replacing it should resolve the issue and I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options,

follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.