Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion DV6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, can someone please sort out this confusion on my laptop.

It is a Pavilion DV6  Serial [Personal Information Removed]  Prod No: XE040EA#ABU with Intel(R) Core TM i7 CPU Q720 @ 1.6GHz.

Can I install 2 x 8GB RAM chips for 16GB as some say OK and others max at 8GB as 2 X 4GB RAM chips??????

I really would like to get to 16GB RAM as I have upgraded HD to 512 SSD

many thanks

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

My understanding is the notebooks with the first gen quad core processors can run 2 x 8 GB of memory.

None of the specs will tell you that.  They all state 2 x 4 GB is the max.

Even Intel indicates the max memory for the processor your notebook has is limited to 8 GB.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/43122/intel-core-i7-720qm-processor-6m-cache-1-...

If you do a search on the forum you will find a few posts where folks installed 16 GB of memory in their notebooks with the 1st gen quad core processors, and it worked.

I can't find any of those posts though.

The bigger issue for you will be to find the right memory that works.

It can't be DDR3-12800, it can't be 1.35V, and it has to have 8 little black memory chips on each side of the circuit board, not 4.

It would need to be DDR3-10600, 1.5V, non-ECC, unbuffered, 8 black chips on each side of the circuit board.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.