Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade from 8Go of RAM to 32Go but it seems like my laptop won't start with the two 16Go RAM modules installed.

I get the caps lock light (3 long and 2 quick) that says there's something wrong with the memory.

It works fine with only one module of 16Go and one of the original 4Go module installed.

It's an HP 15s-fq2000 (2D119AV).

I did run cmd with "wmic memphysical get maxcapacityEx" and it returned 33554432 so that should be 32Go when divided by 1048576.

Here is a screenshot of CPUZ regarding memory in case it helps:

Memory.jpg

Could you help me find a way to make it work?

Thanks for your help,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Cupra83,

You're welcome!

If you can find the time to follow up to share your experience with the Crucial RAM, please do so.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Cupra83,

Welcome to our HP User Forum!

Your HP 15s-fq2000 should be able to handle 2 x 16GB of DDR4 PC4-21300, 2666 MHz, Non-ECC, Unbuffered, SODIMM, 260-pin RAM sticks. Or the DDR4 PC4-25600, 3200 MHz RAM, which will down-throttle to 2666 MHz.

Reference: HP - Compaq HP 15s-fq2000 | Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | Crucial.com

What is the brand & part number(s) of your 16GB RAM sticks? -Btw, it is highly recommended to have identical RAM installed (brand, model, capacity).

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Thank you for your quick reply!

I added CPUZ screenshots in the previous post in case it helps.

The memory I bought is a set of two 16Go sticks for a total of 32Go from the same manufacturer which is Kingston Fury DDR4-2666 as I hoped it would work better as a "set of two" : KF426S15IB1K2/32

HP Recommended

@Cupra83,

Yea, thank you for the CPU-Z screen shots: you got 2 x 16GB of the Kingston Fury Beast KF2666C15S4/16G.

You checked each Kingston RAM stick with one of the Samsung 4GB RAM sticks to make sure both Kingston RAM sticks work?

The only suggestion/observation I have for you at the moment, is that this high-end high-performance Kingston Fury Beast gaming RAM with the following allowable (OC) RAM frequencies: 2666MT/s, 3000MT/s, 3200MT/s, 3600MT/s, and 3733MT/s, is somehow incompatible with your laptop when paired.  HP computers are known to be finnicky with RAM.

Btw, what processor do you have installed in your HP 15s-fq2000?

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Yes, I checked both Kingston RAM sticks with one of the OEM Samsung 4Go stick to make sure both Kingston sticks work.

I did a BIOS update too in case it would help but it didn't.

The laptop works very well this way, I mean way better than OEM with only 8Go of RAM but I would really like to find a way to get those 32Go running.

The processor installed is a Core i5 1135G7.

CPU.jpg

Ok so if it's a compatibility issue, I guess I'll have to return those ones and try some other RAM sticks.

Would you have any brand/model recommendations to maximize compatibility?

Best regards,

HP Recommended

@Cupra83,

Yes, based on my own (admittingly anecdotal) experiences, Samsung or Crucial RAM never disappointed so far:

My recommendations:

1.) Samsung 16GB DDR4 PC4-21300, 2666 MHz, with p/n: M471A2K43CB1-CTD (you need two sticks):
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PC4-21300-2666MHZ-SODIMM-laptop/dp/B07F6N8L3S/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1TX1XH5...

2.) Crucial 16GB (2 x 16GB kit) DDR4 PC4-21300, 2666 MHz, with p/n: CT2K16G4SFRA266:
Crucial RAM 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR4 2666 MHz CL19 Laptop Memory CT2K16G4SFRA266 at Amazon.com

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Alright, I'll send them back and go for the crucial then.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Kind Regards.

HP Recommended

@Cupra83,

You're welcome!

If you can find the time to follow up to share your experience with the Crucial RAM, please do so.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

@NonSequitur777

Hello,

I just installed two sticks of the crucial DDR you recommended and it works perfectly fine!

Thanks again for your help,

Best regards,

HP Recommended

@Cupra83,

Awesome! -Glad it worked out well for you.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.