Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 Laptop - 15m-ed0023dx
Microsoft Windows 11

I'm looking to upgrade the RAM in my HP ENVY x360 Laptop - 15m-ed0023dx  but can't find anywhere what the maximum RAM supported is by this system. I've gotten conflicting information from third party memory scanners from as low as 32 MB to as high as 64 MB.... and can't find ANYTHING on the HP support website which actually tells me what it can support (other than what Windows 11 can support, which isn't the same thing!)

What is the max RAM supported by the HP ENVY x360 Laptop - 15m-ed0023dx?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Hopefully, chapter 5 of the manual is correct.

You can run this command to confirm how much memory your notebook can support if the memory is removable:

1. In the search box, search for cmd and click Run as administrator.

This will open the command prompt.

2. Once command prompt is opened, type wmic memphysical get maxcapacityEx and hit enter.

There, it will show the maximum RAM capacity your PC's motherboard can support.

The capacity is shown as Kilobytes, so you have to convert it to Gigabytes by dividing the number provided in the report by 1,048,576.

If the memory is removable and supports 32 GB, I recommend this kit from Crucial:

Note that Crucial indicates the memory is removable in the 15-ed1000 model series.

Crucial 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 SODIMM | CT2K16G4SFRA32A | Crucial.com

I'm thinking more and more that the memory is removable.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Oh, yeah... and ALL the links to service and other manuals are broken on the HP support website... so I can NOT look up this information in any of those as they are inaccessible!

HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP ENVY x360 15 Convertible PCIMPORTANT! This document is intended for...

There is conflicting information in the manual.

Chapter 1 indicates the memory is onboard (soldered to the motherboard) and is not upgradable.

Chapter 5 shows the procedure to remove and replace the memory.

The crucial memory report indicates that the memory is not upgradable.

HP - Compaq | Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | Crucial.com

So, you are going to have to do some exploratory surgery to see what is what.

If the memory is upgradable, chapter 5 of the service manual shows a 16 GB memory part number, so my assumption is that the notebook can support 2 x 16 GB of memory if it can be removed.

HP Recommended

Well, that's interesting.

I ran memory scans and they indicated that I had a two slots filled with a  4 GB and 8 GB module respectfully. Wish HP would get there act together and provide accurate information about it's products. 

It is still unclear to me what the maximum RAM capacity is, but that suggestion that it could support two 16 GB modules for a total of 32 GB tracks with the scans I've done.  So... I guess I'll go with that.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Hopefully, chapter 5 of the manual is correct.

You can run this command to confirm how much memory your notebook can support if the memory is removable:

1. In the search box, search for cmd and click Run as administrator.

This will open the command prompt.

2. Once command prompt is opened, type wmic memphysical get maxcapacityEx and hit enter.

There, it will show the maximum RAM capacity your PC's motherboard can support.

The capacity is shown as Kilobytes, so you have to convert it to Gigabytes by dividing the number provided in the report by 1,048,576.

If the memory is removable and supports 32 GB, I recommend this kit from Crucial:

Note that Crucial indicates the memory is removable in the 15-ed1000 model series.

Crucial 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 SODIMM | CT2K16G4SFRA32A | Crucial.com

I'm thinking more and more that the memory is removable.

HP Recommended

That was really helpful! Ran that command and did the calculation and, viola! 32 was the answer.  Looks good so far!

Ran a couple of other utilities that scan the hardware, and they all indicated two slots for RAM. Looks promising!

Thank you!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Please post back and let us know the results of your memory upgrade project.

HP Recommended

Received and installed a Crucial 32 MB RAM kit and they worked just fine... opened the case up and there were two slots for RAM on the system. It was relatively easy to swap them out, but opening up the laptop is a royal pain. I really do with they would make it easier. Screws were located under rubber bumpers on the bottom and while I was able to remove on intact to reuse, the other just fell apart -- and there are no replacements available through HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks for letting us know how your memory upgrade project went.

Sorry that one of the rubber foot strips got damaged.

Yes, taking these newer notebooks apart is very challenging to say the least.

I have not attempted do crack one open that doesn't have compartments to access the upgradable components yet.

I don't know what color foot strip you need but I saw some from a third-party seller and they are very expensive.

I did a search by the silver foot strip part number.

L93197-001 - Hewlett-packard (HP) - Rubber Foot Natural Silver | Impact Computers

On eBay I saw some for much less.

L93197-001 for sale | eBay

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.