Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Compaq CQ10-525DX
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I have a Compaq CQ10-525DX netbook running Windows 7 Starter OS with 2GB memory installed in it that is running VERY slow. HP shows that i can upgrade the memory with a 4GB stick, (with 3.3 GB available for use) as long as i am running any version on Windows 7 except Starter.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00820047#MaxRAMSupported

I have a Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade available. My question is, is it worth upgrading the OS and adding the additional memory? Will I see that much of improvement in performance?

If the answer is yes, where can I purchase the memory upgrade ( Crucial.com only has 2GB memory modules)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Not sure where you are seeing that it can take 4 gigs of RAM. Its a netbook using an Atom processor and maxes at 2 gigs. 

It is DDR2 memory which is now obsolete and hard to find and expensive. 

https://www.amazon.com/LNVO-4GB-DDR2-667S-Lenovo-PC2-5300-DDR2-667-Compatible/dp/B01GKCSRPQ/ref=sr_1...

Service Manual saying 2 gigs max:

Manual

It really does not have the power to run a full version of Windows 7. Starter was installed on it to minimize system overhead. 

Not really much you can do to it to make it run with modern systems other than install Linux on it. Ubuntu offers a Netbook distribution that is probably the best thing I have seen on netbooks. I had one, too in the day and the Ubuntu Netbook distro has a theme that works perfectly on the small screen and is very lightweight so it runs fairly zippy.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Not sure where you are seeing that it can take 4 gigs of RAM. Its a netbook using an Atom processor and maxes at 2 gigs. 

It is DDR2 memory which is now obsolete and hard to find and expensive. 

https://www.amazon.com/LNVO-4GB-DDR2-667S-Lenovo-PC2-5300-DDR2-667-Compatible/dp/B01GKCSRPQ/ref=sr_1...

Service Manual saying 2 gigs max:

Manual

It really does not have the power to run a full version of Windows 7. Starter was installed on it to minimize system overhead. 

Not really much you can do to it to make it run with modern systems other than install Linux on it. Ubuntu offers a Netbook distribution that is probably the best thing I have seen on netbooks. I had one, too in the day and the Ubuntu Netbook distro has a theme that works perfectly on the small screen and is very lightweight so it runs fairly zippy.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.  

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. When I ran a HP  maintainence check on the netbook, it reported that 4GB memory was compatible.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.