Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In 2011 I bought my Pavilion dv7 6113cL . . . it is the Home Premium edition (possibly this model has a greater capacity for memory than the Home Basic model does) . . . I use it every day . . . however, less than 20% of the approximate 698 GB hard drive is ever occupied.  

I frequently use it for trading stocks and often have about 10-15 windows open at a time, many of them interactive and/or streaming.  The more windows I open, the agonizingly slower it gets.

The Processor is a 4 Core AMD64 Family 18 Model 1 Stepping 0 with a max speed of 1400 (?) Mhz.

The installed memory (which has never been changed) is 6 GB (one 4 GB ELPIDA SODIMM DDR3 1333Mhz and one 2GB Hynix with the same specs).

The computer originally came with Windows 7; however, I have upgraded the OS as each Windows edition became available (currently using Windows 10 Home Version 1903).

I need (want) to update the memory to, most likely, the maximum possible.  However, determining that has been confusing.

Is it 8GB, 16GB, or even 128GB?

From the HP Support Assistant:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c008200

Also note, on that same document, it shows the max possible memory amount that I could install if I still had my original OS.

Question:  What amount of memory would you recommend,  possible brands,  and vendors?  Also, any specific specs that I should be careful to verify, given the information that I provided?

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Skycloud3 

Firstly please do not use CYAN for your text, very hard to read.

I need (want) to update the memory to, most likely, the maximum possible.  However, determining that has been confusing.

Is it 8GB, 16GB, or even 128GB?

Well, your machine supports 8GB max, not 16GB and you won't see laptops/notebooks support 128GB on market today.

Definitely not on a 7 or 8 years old machine like yours. Cheapest and easiest way is to buy the following (or similar) product and install to your machine

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/pavilion-dv7-6113cl/CT9179650

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi BH,

Thank you for your prompt response and sorry about the cyan.

If all I can upgrade to is 8GB, should I just buy a single 4GB since I already have an existing 4GB, or would 2 new 4GBs be better. . . and if I only buy one new memory stick, does it matter if I install it in the top slot or the bottom slot (the present 4GB is in its original position in the top slot).

Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.