Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY - 17m-ae111dx
Microsoft Windows 11

Good afternoon. I want to check if I can add memory to my laptop.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The 'Non-accessible/non-upgradeable' statement means that HP wants any upgrades to be performed by an authorized service center.

If you feel you can do the upgrades yourself after reading chapter 5 of the service manual where you can find the memory removal and replacement procedure, feel free to do so.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, you can upgrade the memory in your notebook.

See chapter 1 of the service manual for the memory upgrade info.

HP ENVY 17m Laptop PCHP ENVY 17 Laptop PC Maintenance and Service GuideIMPORTANT! This document is i...

Your notebook has two memory slots and can support 2 x 8 GB of DDR4-2400 memory.

Chapter 5 has the memory removal and replacement procedure.

HP Recommended

Thanks to the quick answer. I looked at Chapter 1 about memory; it says: 16 GB is the maximum memory

Memory Two SODIMM slots - Non-accessible/non-upgradeable
DDR4-2400 Dual Channel Support (DDR4-2400 downgrade to DDR4-2133)
Supports up to 16 GB max system memory
8192 MB (4096 MB x 2)
12288 MB (8192 MB +4096 MB)
16384 MB (8192 MB x 2)

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The 'Non-accessible/non-upgradeable' statement means that HP wants any upgrades to be performed by an authorized service center.

If you feel you can do the upgrades yourself after reading chapter 5 of the service manual where you can find the memory removal and replacement procedure, feel free to do so.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

HP Recommended

I was not clear enough.  The laptop already has 2 X 8 GB of memory. (RAM).  I want to upgrade to 24 or 32 GB

HP Recommended

Since your notebook has an Intel 8th gen core processor, 2 x 16 GB may work but there is no guarantee.

You can do this to see how much memory your notebook can support...

1. In the search box, search for cmd and click Run as administrator. This will open the command prompt.

2. Once command prompt is opened, type wmic memphysical get maxcapacityEx and hit enter.

There, it will show the maximum RAM capacity your PC's motherboard can support.

The capacity is shown as Kilobytes, so you have to convert it to Gigabytes by dividing the number provided in the report by 1,048,576.

If you want to experiment with a 16 GB DDR4-2400 memory chip, this one should work if your notebook can support 32 GB of memory.

I would just buy one for now and if the notebook boots up, reports 24 GB of memory and works fine, then you can buy the second 16 GB chip if you want.

Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400 SODIMM | CT16G4SFD824A | Crucial.com

HP Recommended

Thank you so much.  The answer is 33,554,432   divided by 1,048.576 gives me 32,00. I can upgrade to 32 GB.

You are truly an Expert!!!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.