Level 4
39 36 6 13
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Memory and Battery

HP Recommended
HP 15-3065
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How long can you leave the main battery out of a new laptop without suffering any ill memory effects?

The only drive in my new computer is the 256GB SSD. I tore it down and removed the battery before touching anything and realized I need a few other components. Ordered those and my computer is laying disassembled with the battery out.

Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
erico
Level 17
Level 17
47,953 42,193 4,643 12,405
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

For as long as you need to. It has zero effect on the data in the SSD.

It is generally preferred to store a notebook battery at about 60% charge in a cool place.

I am not an HP Employee.
No_Beret
Author
Level 4
39 36 6 13
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, this is what happened.

I reassembled the computer yesterday after the battery was out for about five days.

When I pressed the power button, nothing happened. Waited, pressed several times, waited, nothing happened.

Plugged in power supply, got the orange charging light, pressed power and the screen flashed white then off.

A message came up about bad CMOS and to press enter to restart.

Pressed enter, restarted, and everything looks fine.

After I got the new drive mounted and initialized, that looked fine too.

I ran the HP diagnostics and they don't reference the new drive, but they say everything else is OK.

It appears that this machine has a low tolerance for being without power, but it is not critical.

0 Kudos
erico
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@No_Beret 

The "bad CMOS" message may be a CMOS battery at fault, that is if your model has a CMOS battery.

SSD (Solid state Drives) do not have a requirement to have power on them whether it be by battery or external power adapter to retain their data contents. That is by design. 

I am not an HP Employee.
0 Kudos
No_Beret
Author
Level 4
39 36 6 13
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Then I better get this in for service or figure out how to check that battery. It was less than a week from the store when that happened.

0 Kudos
erico
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Checking your notebook to verify that it has a CMOS battery is simple, if it is still disassembled.

Take a look for a small battery shaped like a coin. It may be enclosed in heat shrink with two wires and a connector attached to it.

What is the complete product name or product number of your notebook? You have only supplied a portion of the product number. Look on the bottom for some tiny lettering that will identify it.

I am not an HP Employee.
0 Kudos
No_Beret
Author
Level 4
39 36 6 13
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It is brand new and no it is not still open days later after I posted.

15-dw3065st

You really think it shipped without a CMOS battery? I think I need to check the video.

0 Kudos
erico
Level 17
Level 17
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your notebook is a modern type that does not have a CMOS battery.

We have asked to be briefed by HP subject matter experts on how that works, but to date that has not happened.

I can ask an Admin to help connect you with a team at HP who can assist you if that is needed. If all is working as expected after the  last reassembly, that is your call.

I am not an HP Employee.
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation