Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Stream 14 z000na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've tried a Samsung 32GB micro SDHC uhs-1 card in my HP Stream 14, but the drive isn't recognized? Any ideas?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @Freddie6,

Welcome to the HP Forum! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips. For you to have a rewarding experience, I would like to include the following link for your perusal and reference. First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More. What is your specific model of Stream 14 notebook? HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number, Serial Number or Product Number? What operating system are you running?

I understand that when you inserted the memory card it was not recognized. Will it read other memory cards?

Do you see any error messages when you insert it?

Is the memory card listed in Disk Management?

Is the card reader listed in Device Manager?

Here is a link to HP Notebook PCs - Using and Troubleshooting Memory Card Readers (Windows 😎, that may help. 

Please let me know the results.

When you have resolved your difficulty, would you choose "Accepted Solution" on that post to alert other members and visitors to your success and perhaps help them. To show appreciation for my help. please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Thanks

HP Stream 14z000na

Windows 10, upgraded from 8.1

Only SD card I've tried

No error message when micro SD card inserted, not listed in Disk Management, no "card reader" in  Device Manager

Also a Philips 32GB USB 3.0 stick (FM32FD75B) doesn't work in the USB 3.0 socket, but does in a USB 2.0 socket

Any ideas appreciated

HP Recommended

Hi @Freddie6,

Thank you for your reply.

When I checked the software and driver page for your notebook, I noticed there was a bios update. Did you do it yet? Please run the HP Support Assistant to aid with HP updates. If you need to update the bios, please remove all peripheral devices, such as printers, USBs, external monitors or external drives. I also suggest you be connected directly to an outlet.

Have you done all your Windows updates?

Have you run the Windows troubleshooter?

If you open Device Manager and scan for hardware changes does the card reader appear?

Is the card reader listed in the bios and enabled?

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Thanks

The micro sd card works through an external card reader through USB 2.0, (not 3.0), USB 3.0 stick only works on USB 2.0 socket

HP Support Assistant doesn't work, re-installed, doesn't work

Windows is up to date

Tried Troubleshooter, card not on Device Manager

Bios has version F.02, couldn't find an update on HP site

Card reader not listed in Bios

Any help appreciated

HP Recommended

Hi @Freddie6,

Thank you for replying.

As you stated the HP Support Assistant(HPSA) is not working and you have tried uninstalling and reinstalling would you uninstall it and then download and reinstalling. HP Support AssistantOnce you have completed the installation, does it now work?  You can check for any recommended HP updates by going to the software and driver page for your notebook. I know you are running Windows 10 but, check under Windows 8.1 as those updates should have been done prior to upgrading to Windows 10. HP Stream Notebook - 14-z000na Software and Driver page. When you scanned for hardware changes in Device Manager, were there any unknown devices listed? If so delete the unknown device and then rescan for hardware changes. As you should have done the  BIOS update to version F.04 before upgrading to Windows 10, you can try updating the BIOS but, if it fails you will need to go back to the Windows 8.1,  then do the BIOS update and then upgrade to Windows 10 again. HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS. Please disconnect any peripheral devices, such as USBs, printers, external monitors or hard drives before attempting the BIOS update. Should you need to do a recovery, here is a link to HP PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 10) as a guide.

Please keep me updated.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi, you might also want to try downloading the Windows 10 Intel chipset drivers from the hp.com site and running the executables to reinstall the drivers.  That is required sometimes after a Windows 10 upgrade on the Stream laptops.

HP Recommended

Thanks

I updated the bios to F.04, no mention of an SD reader

HPSupport Assistant uninstalled, downloaded, and installed, but doesn't work

No unrecognised drivers

I had deleted W8.1 to make space, I made a W10 Recovery Drive only

Any ideas?

HP Recommended

Thanks for the tip, tried that but still no card reader showing, Driver Booster 3 said the HP driver for the AMD chipset was out of date!

HP Recommended

Hi there I have hp stream 14 beat studio I updated my bios on it along with window 10 home all the drivers are up to date before I have done all that my sd card was reading perfect after I updated everything my sd card stop working its not showing anywhere at all I downgrade everything and still not working

How can i get it back working is there any drivers for it that microsoft can pick it up

Thanks

Aaron

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.